LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

TS inlet manifold packing

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

TS inlet manifold packing

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:47 pm

In the process of building a 70 mm bore TS & need to make a packer for additional clearance for the boost port.

Or do I? Does anybody have any strong feelings as to the effectiveness of the packing? I can only presume there is a benefit, but studying an MX barrel I have shows that the reed valve is well clear.

As for the packing, I have a choice of materials including alloy, tufnol (as previously used) & some hardish rubber/nitrile.

My main question, though, is to ask whether anybody knows the maximum thickness of any packing before there becomes an issue with frame clearance. All of the M6 fasteners (except the one that goes into the inlet) are now countersunk.

However, knowing the b@st@rd that these manifolds can be to seal, I have almost decided to add four M4 fasteners in each corner as the standard 'central' fasteners are a design flaw, IMHO. Has anybody else resorted to such measures?

TYIA for any advice :D
Warkton Tornado No.1

Re: TS inlet manifold packing

Postby dscscotty » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:32 pm

I've used up to 5mm packer, however had to re-shape the inlet this was with an R1 shock which is around 295 ish mm, so this dropped the front of the motor a little which aided it also, I now machine the reed valve and the inlet manifold taking around 2-2.5mm off each which effectively puts us back to square one, alternatively you could fit a casa off-set cone-bar, regarding sealing TS1 inlets, ye agree they can leak, however a small smear of Three bond sorts that out,
dscscotty

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:02 pm

Thank you dscotty :)

The rear shock absorber is an aftermarket adjustable item (red spring. SPAX? Not Bitubo) so I am certain that it is longer than standard. I know for sure that it is adjustable on length.

(I don't much like having to rely on a sandwich of components sealed only by a proprietary compound such as Threebond, as I have had reed valve manifolds leak before after just a few miles, although Threebond [Yamabond] is an excellent product)

If I go the four corner fixing route, it will give peace of mind, though I could rout 'o' ring grooves as I will have to have the tool out for the packer to be made. I was really wondering if anybody had a sure-fire procedure that eliminated the need for relying on just the existing fixings.....
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby dickie » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:25 pm

When you say "in my opinion" I think you're being too humble. It is a flaw. A 90 bend with no restraint is a weakness.

Nice to be humble though.
dickie

Postby ROClarke » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:00 pm

Apologies to hijack the tread but it is relevant,I have just purchased a MB manifold for my TS1,but it does not sit right on the cylinder,is it because I must use a packer with it ?
ROClarke

Postby foremanbob » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:15 pm

IMHO there are so many other factors to take into the equation... The manifold used, and offset cones... These are the factors for me that influenced the size of the packer I could use
foremanbob

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:00 pm

Does it not depend on what reedvalve assembly being used, genuine Yamaha needs to sit taller requiring a5mm packer for boost port clearance and the remade Bgm version only requires a 3mm. I don’t use the paper gaskets supplied either and only use ThreeBond even though it’s a bit messy :D
ULC Soulagent

Postby ROClarke » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:46 pm

Sorted it,you need the BGM Reed for it to fit a TS1
ROClarke

Postby ULC Soulagent » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:33 pm

ROClarke wrote:Sorted it,you need the BGM Reed for it to fit a TS1

Did u get the Bgm stuffer as well ?
ULC Soulagent

Postby Norrie Bodge » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:54 pm

ULC Soulagent wrote:

Been curious off these reed stuffers.. ?
do you get any increase in performance using them?
Norrie Bodge

Postby bike grim » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:28 am

I’ve used an MB manifold with standard TS1 reed with a 3mm packer and it sits fine.
bike grim

Postby ULC Soulagent » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:32 am

Norrie Bodge wrote:
ULC Soulagent wrote:

Been curious off these reed stuffers.. ?
do you get any increase in performance using them?

Apparently they do but that’s open for debate. Think it directs the fuel charge more efficiently into the reedblock area but I’m sure one of our fine Racers would explain it in better detail ;)
ULC Soulagent

Postby ROClarke » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:51 am

ULC Soulagent wrote:

No just the reed.
Any idea if there will be any difference in performance between this and the Imola manifold I am currently using where the reed sits inside it as opposed to inside the cylinder.
ROClarke

Postby ULC Soulagent » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:20 pm

ROClarke wrote:
ULC Soulagent wrote:

No just the reed.
Any idea if there will be any difference in performance between this and the Imola manifold I am currently using where the reed sits inside it as opposed to inside the cylinder.

Don’t think there will be any difference in performance, only if the reedblock has been flowed will it make a tiny difference
Reed petals can make a huge difference depending on thickness and if there dual stage( Boyesen)
ULC Soulagent

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:50 pm

Further to the issue, the eventual solution, along with the packer that I made to suit:

TS1 spaced out manifold additional fixings.jpg

IMG_1513.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby ULC Soulagent » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:52 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:Further to the issue, the eventual solution, along with the packer that I made to suit:

IMG_1513.JPG

Is not a bit overkill in the screw department :shock:
ULC Soulagent

Postby dscscotty » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:53 pm

Nice work, but a bit of threebond would've sealed it
dscscotty

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:04 am

ULC Soulagent wrote:
Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:Further to the issue, the eventual solution, along with the packer that I made to suit:

IMG_1513.JPG

Is not a bit overkill in the screw department :shock:

I didn't want to add additional screws after all the other engineering involved. With a packer increasing the number of faces to be sealed, this solved the issue.

dscscotty wrote:Nice work, but a bit of threebond would've sealed it

It didn't, nor did other similar products. In the end, this solution gave me peace of mind & saved time over all the attempts to seal requiring strip down, cleaning etc.

I've owned & worked on Lambrettas since 1973 & have worked principally in design engineering. The TS1 manifold would not require having to rely entirely upon a sealant if the fixings were four corner. It is a ridiculous design flaw.....
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby dickie » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:19 am

Nice. Correct solution.
dickie

Postby dscscotty » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:07 pm

The TS1 manifold would not require having to rely entirely upon a sealant if the fixings were four corner. It is a ridiculous design flaw.....

a 30 yr design flaw as well! Monza barrels only have 3 fixing points :lol:
dscscotty

Next

Return to Tuning & Kits