LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

GT186: ideal cylinder cowling?

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

GT186: ideal cylinder cowling?

Postby vegansydney » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:13 pm

Quick question for anyone running a GT186 with a 'standard' 58x107 crank. Is there anyway to avoid using a cylinder cowl spacer/packer? I've heard that Series 1 cylinder cowls are a good fit, but by my calculations it will need 3mm spacer/packer.

What are others running? Looking for a combo that makes the spark plug easy to remove, and preferably doesn't need a spacer between the cylinder head nut and the cowling. Ultimately, I'd also prefer to avoid both types of Series 3 cowlings with the intake scoop, as I believe it will foul the TM24 float bowl. Too much to ask? :D
vegansydney

Re: GT186: ideal cylinder cowling?

Postby Toddy » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:18 pm

Why doesn’t a standard cowl fit with standard crank ? The plug hole is of centre to normal ones my 240 needed dremelling to get good access
Toddy

Postby vegansydney » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:02 pm

Does anyone make extended cylinder head nuts? Using the long BGM cylinder head nuts on a porcupine head there is a 14mm gap between top of nut and front of GP/dl cowling. I'd prefer not have to make up spacer.
vegansydney

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:54 pm

Never seen one. I just made up a spacer with a short piece of studding and another nut.

I also have spacers welded on my cowling as using a 115mm conrod.
Storkfoot

Postby shane BBoys » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:38 am

vegansydney wrote:Does anyone make extended cylinder head nuts? Using the long BGM cylinder head nuts on a porcupine head there is a 14mm gap between top of nut and front of GP/dl cowling. I'd prefer not have to make up spacer.

www.lambrettaupgrades.co.uk For chissey
Taylor Tuning on face ache, both supply cowl packers in different sizes.
Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:27 am

vegansydney wrote:Does anyone make extended cylinder head nuts? Using the long BGM cylinder head nuts on a porcupine head there is a 14mm gap between top of nut and front of GP/dl cowling. I'd prefer not have to make up spacer.

Actually, search for “Hexagon Threading Studding Connector”
Storkfoot

Postby vegansydney » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:10 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations! I have a selection of cylinder cowl 'packers' that I picked up when visiting the UK last month. Rich Taylor has since confirmed that he makes extra long cylinder head nuts specifically for the porcupine heads.
vegansydney

Return to Tuning & Kits