LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

CST easy pull clutch conversion

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

CST easy pull clutch conversion

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:38 pm

Any reviews? The only comparison is the Casa chaincase, fascinating was point 5 under the 'what are the advantages of the casa cover?' - 'the inspection panel allows the crankshaft to be removed without removing the sidecasing from the engine...' (missing was the casa case...?)
Andy B.L.C.

Re: CST easy pull clutch conversion

Postby vegansydney » Fri May 01, 2020 12:25 am

vegansydney

Postby gaz_powell » Fri May 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Jeez, thirteen and half minutes …………...to deliver a two minute message...….

Looks good piece of kit
gaz_powell

Postby lozmondo » Fri May 01, 2020 2:14 pm

My Mrs has one on her GP. With an AF cassette clutch it really is as light as one of those P2 clutches built by a company whose name escapes me.

not cheap, but very good,
lozmondo

Postby coaster » Fri May 01, 2020 9:36 pm

I was intrigued by the 'Ratchet' and pinion mechanism :? Excellant idea though
coaster

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Fri May 01, 2020 11:08 pm

Thanks all! The financial issue will always be an issue in my world, especially as a new Uni sidecasing will be part of the equation... Thing is my decades of chainsawing/brushcutting/2wheeled shopping trolley action caused white finger hasn't been helped by a recent fight with Taunton train station, I lost... I was catching the train back to Briz after having put down the deposit on the Minehead rugby club for the now increasingly unlikely looking Mike Karslake memorial rally (many thanks to Pete & Taff from the Panthers for belief & support!). Boarding the train my right knee ('88 accident, down the main road at 95mph + on my face, I was doing 60, the SX went 25 metres down the side road under the cars radiator, I spent 8.5 months in plaster) gave way & I fell between the train & the platform. Incredibly I didn't smack out all my teeth (just chipped them), didn't break anything (the evenings beers probably helped) just p*shed blood all over the platform... Anyway I digress... My right hand is still totally fecked & unless I sort an easy pull solution all I will be riding is autos from now on which so isn't part of my game plan... :( Nor, unless totally unavoidable is another master cylinder (ie hydraulic clutch)
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sat May 02, 2020 10:37 pm

Just a thought... From what I remember a scooter emporium (that I no longer use) advertised an in line, easy pull clutch gizmo thingy. Further research has shown this to be a trials bike option/development that claimed a 40% easier lever pull, available for only £9 onwards.. Though sounding way too good to be true does anyone have any real life experience of using one of these in line cable add ins...? With thanks in advance!
Andy B.L.C.

Postby gaz_powell » Sun May 03, 2020 9:06 am

The reviews on MX bikes seem to be agreeable to about 30 % reduction in pull.
They are made to be fitted at the bar end whether that will make them less effective on a lambretta at the cable block.
You can get them cheaper on ebay that the scooter shop you mention.
Worth a punt
gaz_powell

Postby coaster » Sun May 03, 2020 7:47 pm

Andy B.L.C. wrote:Just a thought... From what I remember a scooter emporium (that I no longer use) advertised an in line, easy pull clutch gizmo thingy. Further research has shown this to be a trials bike option/development that claimed a 40% easier lever pull, available for only £9 onwards.. Though sounding way too good to be true does anyone have any real life experience of using one of these in line cable add ins...? With thanks in advance!

I think I read somewhere that you loose some travel with those gizmos which is a bit of a bugger with clutch drag on some setuops I would think :?
coaster

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sun May 03, 2020 8:37 pm

Hmmm... Food for thought... Having hopefully got some money through for parts sold to a fellow forum member, I guess what I'll do is splurge on the CST option & pick up an inline option also. I'm thinking the chaincase will be interchangeable between motors/peds & if the inline option works on lower BHP 5 plate clutch motors then I'll be a convert & will surely share this as & when this happens (don't hold your breath mind & feel free to do an inline (or new book) easy pull clutch gizmo review soon as...)

I'm wondering whether the unit could be mounted on a bracket coming off the horncasting/legshields frame mounting point...?
Andy B.L.C.

Postby coaster » Sun May 03, 2020 9:14 pm

Andy B.L.C. wrote:Hmmm... Food for thought... Having hopefully got some money through for parts sold to a fellow forum member, I guess what I'll do is splurge on the CST option & pick up an inline option also. I'm thinking the chaincase will be interchangeable between motors/peds & if the inline option works on lower BHP 5 plate clutch motors then I'll be a convert & will surely share this as & when this happens (don't hold your breath mind & feel free to do an inline (or new book) easy pull clutch gizmo review soon as...)

I'm wondering whether the unit could be mounted on a bracket coming off the horncasting/legshields frame mounting point...?

You could also cut and lengthen the clutch arm, I've heard 10mm mentioned and I take it you have tried an MB Yam dogleg lever?
coaster

Postby coaster » Sun May 03, 2020 9:24 pm

If you go for the CST I would speak to them first as I wouls suspect there is a choise of pinon ratios to allow for more throw/Heavier action ot shorter throw/lighter action. I'm basing that assumption on the comment in the video when he read out some number written in felt tip inside the cover which were obviously a ratio even though he said he didn't know what it meant :?
coaster

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sun May 03, 2020 9:41 pm

EDIT... For the money entailed I'd like specifics, down to micro measurements & what these differences make in the real world... (It's called not having much but wanting it to do much...!) To be frank the money involved seems like covering an idea that will soon be copied (why not copywright it?) Dunno Colin I'm not cool enuff to know peeps, but your scandi moped loon blog fing was ace!! & so to bed with a bonkers top choon Wade Flemons - Jeanette :D
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:58 am

Has anyone had any issues with the CST easy pull clutch mechanism? If so, what please?

I have one fitted on on a GT186 with an LTH 7 plate clutch and really rate it. It makes changing gear almost effortless but I have only done around 2500 miles since it was fitted.

When I go back to my TS1 with a 7 plate LTH clutch, without the CST mechanism, I really notice how much harder it is to change gear.

Before I save up for another for the TS1, I just wanted to check whether there was a downside that I am unaware of.
Storkfoot

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:05 pm

Storkfoot wrote:Has anyone had any issues with the CST easy pull clutch mechanism? If so, what please?

I have one fitted on on a GT186 with an LTH 7 plate clutch and really rate it. It makes changing gear almost effortless but I have only done around 2500 miles since it was fitted.

When I go back to my TS1 with a 7 plate LTH clutch, without the CST mechanism, I really notice how much harder it is to change gear.

Before I save up for another for the TS1, I just wanted to check whether there was a downside that I am unaware of.

I don't think the problems are with the clutch actuator, other than extra plates require additional clearance for total separation. One modification that helps is the 'cut & shut' shortening of the actuator lever, whilst the easiest (that tends to be met with disbelief.... :roll: ) is to set the lever @ a more acute angle. In other words, lift off it's splined actuator rod & rotate ACW before refitting. Of course, the cable will need adjustment & needs to be long enough to cope. The greater angular rotation ensures the clutch doesn't drag/saves gearboxes but also requires more effort. Hmmmm....

Of course, ATF will also help, but we all want a rack & pinion clutch operating mechanism, don't we?

Personally, I'd prefer not to copy the DIY method on YouTube or pay the full cost of the CST solution. Consequently, I have been looking toward going about an engineering solution along similar lines that will fit the GP cover without permanent modifications. I have the components from a motorbike that will work, but that'd be too easy :lol:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby coaster » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:44 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:......Personally, I'd prefer not to copy the DIY method on YouTube or pay the full cost of the CST solution. Consequently, I have been looking toward going about an engineering solution along similar lines that will fit the GP cover without permanent modifications. I have the components from a motorbike that will work, but that'd be too easy :lol:

What reservations do you have with Ste Richard's (Steel Weazle) diy solution? I thought that was fully reversible too :? :?
coaster

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:15 pm

coaster wrote:
Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:......Personally, I'd prefer not to copy the DIY method on YouTube or pay the full cost of the CST solution. Consequently, I have been looking toward going about an engineering solution along similar lines that will fit the GP cover without permanent modifications. I have the components from a motorbike that will work, but that'd be too easy :lol:

What reservations do you have with Ste Richard's (Steel Weazle) diy solution? I thought that was fully reversible too :? :?

I'd prefer not to follow that route & utilise proprietary components that would make for a viable, small scale production opportunity. It's something that I know can be done & there may be the opportunity to 'enhance' the concept from the currently available options.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby coaster » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:35 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:
coaster wrote:

I'd prefer not to follow that route & utilise proprietary components that would make for a viable, small scale production opportunity. It's something that I know can be done & there may be the opportunity to 'enhance' the concept from the currently available options.

Interesting 8-)
coaster

Postby Knowledge » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:10 pm

Storkfoot wrote:Has anyone had any issues with the CST easy pull clutch mechanism? If so, what please?

I have one fitted on a GT186 with an LTH 7 plate clutch and really rate it. It makes changing gear almost effortless but I have only done around 2500 miles since it was fitted.

Hi Paul.

I acknowledge that don’t know all the spec, but a 7plate LTH clutch seems an overkill on a GT186. My thought would be to put a 4 or 5 plate clutch in the GT186 and transfer the CST easy-pull to the TS1. Then sell the LTH clutch. ;)

In another life, I might have had a career in asset-stripping.

Martin
Knowledge

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:40 pm

Overkill is excellent, Martin.

I have had to rebuild a couple of 5 plate clutches on the road over the years with this engine, which is modestly tuned. I have also missed at least one LCGB event, having burnt plates out going over the Pennines.

The LTH clutch is an excellent bit of kit and is entirely worth it in my eyes. Possibly one of the best Lambretta parts I have ever bought :D

So, has anyone anything bad to say about the CST mechanism, other than it’s cost?
Storkfoot

Next

Return to Tuning & Kits