LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Stator Failure ??

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Stator Failure ??

Postby nsaints » Mon May 25, 2020 6:23 pm

After a few hundred miles of running fine I find the trigger on my BGM V4 stator has gone open circuit and needs replacing

So why does something this this just fail?

Is it just one of those things - poor quality parts maybe
Or something I’ve done wrong fitting - alignment issue?

Genuine question..
nsaints

Re: Stator Failure ??

Postby coaster » Mon May 25, 2020 7:07 pm

I would take a good look at the crimped connectors, the earth tag on the stator and the soldered connections on the coil. I always put blobs of araldite on the joints on all my stators and also to stop wires from moving.
coaster

Postby MickYork » Mon May 25, 2020 7:13 pm

Beggars the question why the manufacturers don't do it ?
MickYork

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue May 26, 2020 12:08 am

nsaints wrote:After a few hundred miles of running fine I find the trigger on my BGM V4 stator has gone open circuit and needs replacing

So why does something this this just fail?

Is it just one of those things - poor quality parts maybe
Or something I’ve done wrong fitting - alignment issue?

Genuine question..

Usually, these trigger coils have a blob of adhesive covering the connection point which can sometimes become detached by undoing the securing screw.
Did you ever undo this screw? and if so, did you re-apply a blob of adhesive to secure it?
Has anything broken off and clattered the coil?
The core winding on these pickup coils is extremely thin gauge. Not the best option for a vibrating 2 stroke engine.
The Cdi charge coil (LT) is just as bad.
You could consider using an external pickup with a DC CDI. A lot easier to fix in the unlikely event it should it go wrong. Parts can be more readily swapped out by the roadside should the need arise.
Fast n Furious

Return to Tuning & Kits