LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

RT 225 exhaust option

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

RT 225 exhaust option

Postby 24miculo » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:55 am

Ive just committed to a 225 RT kit which I plan to run with a 60 x 110 crank and a 28 mm phbh and using an Indian GP gearbox with 19 x 46 sprockets giving a FD ratio of 4.84.
I have the choice of using a JL3 or buying a BGM V4 to go with the kit. Just wondered if anyone has any experience of the 2 exhaust options on this kit and what, if any, the difference is between them.

Thanks in advance
24miculo

Re: RT 225 exhaust option

Postby Rich Oswald » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:21 pm

Just my opinion but from what i've heard the BGM V4 is poor and lacking in performance and prone to gassing up compared to previous versions due to them making the exhaust quieter. I have had V1 and V3 and found them ok but have now moved on to a Ron Moss Avanti Clubman. I think your gearing is spot on but i'd go for a 30mm PHBH. No experience of the JL3 but have a Taffy Mk4 which is a similar expansion but it all depends whether you want the st'd looks or are not bothered by the expansion look.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby 24miculo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:49 am

Thanks for your reply and thoughts Rich.
Im not really bothered about keeping the standard look just looking to make the most of the kit to give a good touring set up. I was going to use the 28 mm because I have one rather than go for the 30.
Im interested to hear your views on the difference between the Ron Moss and the older BGM's.
Thanks
Dave
24miculo

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:28 pm

24miculo wrote:Thanks for your reply and thoughts Rich.
Im not really bothered about keeping the standard look just looking to make the most of the kit to give a good touring set up. I was going to use the 28 mm because I have one rather than go for the 30.
Im interested to hear your views on the difference between the Ron Moss and the older BGM's.
Thanks
Dave

My V1 BGM was from the very first batch from MB. Still using it now on my SX Rapido 225 and very happy with it. I believe that this very early batch were very good because there were a lot of complaints about V1 being noisy and also fell apart but I have experienced neither of those things. The V3 imo was pretty good but just used on an old V1 Mugello 225 with a tune. I have now taken that off to use the Ron Moss on a highly tuned motor but only 70 miles in so far so too early to judge but first impressions are it is loud!

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby ULC Soulagent » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:53 pm

My tuppence worth :D
Bgm V1 early one from Mb, it fell apart but Broady fettled it and still going strong today
V2- Shite, fell apart internally
V3- much better although I had one fall apart internally but was replaced under warranty, still used today
V4- ok on a Rt 195 but like Rich said, on a 225 or above the performance is stifled a tad and it excessive heat build up.
V5- due release with mods too sort out above issue.

Ron Moss clubman is brilliant
RS clubman is another great box pipe.
Clubmate had a Jl3 on his Rt225 Reedvalve, 30 Delly, went ok ;)
ULC Soulagent

Postby rossclark » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:36 pm

I had the V4 on my standard 58/107 RT225 PHBH30 I felt it ran out of puff at about 65mph on SX gearing - I was also running the BGM hose and filter. I ran that last year through to the WAW run when the rings/bore wore out - I'm blaming that on having put a mild steel mid range tank in without properly cleaning it out first and grit getting through. There was also quite a bit of carbon build up on the head and crown. I was never able to get it off rich - the plug was always dark even jetted down to AV264/X7p2 main 118, pilot 50.

After getting the cylinder replated and a new piston I replaced the BGM v4 with an Avanti Ex box. I did about 100 miles with the filter and it was still rich occasionally boggy. In comparison I found the Exbox does not have the same low down grunt and then kick as the BGM but has a much more linear feel. I've got about 390 miles on the barrel now but gone open carb and upped the main to 125 the plug looks better and it's definitely friskier.
rossclark

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:23 pm

Loud pipes save lives... dunno Mainland Oirish m8's have spent big money making a BGM work with a TS1, ie pulling it all apart & bunging in a bigger tailpipe...
Andy B.L.C.

Postby rossclark » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:50 am

And yes the ExBox does have more of a 'crack' to it, it's a head turner but not as much as a VW reverse cone :lol:
rossclark

Postby 24miculo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:04 am

Thanks gents, much appreciated
24miculo

Return to Tuning & Kits