LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

AF 8 plate clutch

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

AF 8 plate clutch

Postby Norrie Bodge » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:02 pm

Rang AF a few weeks ago regards a 6 plate cassette clutch
Dave says they no longer available? But there’s a newer 8 plate due for release?

Anyone any news/piccys on these??
Norrie Bodge

Re: AF 8 plate clutch

Postby dscscotty » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:33 am

I got the last 6 plate cassette in stock the other week, :o however there are some in circulation with other dealers, AF also have some Surflex plates on order, that can be used in their 6 plate road cassettes.
Regarding the 8 plate clutch, I doubt there's any pictures available, but I can tell you they are a nice bit of kit ;)
dscscotty

Postby Norrie Bodge » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:44 pm

dscscotty wrote:I got the last 6 plate cassette in stock the other week, :o however there are some in circulation with other dealers, AF also have some Surflex plates on order, that can be used in their 6 plate road cassettes.
Regarding the 8 plate clutch, I doubt there's any pictures available, but I can tell you they are a nice bit of kit ;)

I’m holding out for one Daz
I’m guessing these like the 6plate cassettes are plug n play ?
Norrie Bodge

Postby Rich Oswald » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:24 pm

dscscotty wrote:I got the last 6 plate cassette in stock the other week, :o however there are some in circulation with other dealers, AF also have some Surflex plates on order, that can be used in their 6 plate road cassettes.

Hi Darren, are these likely to fit without any fettling issues please and any idea when they may be available?

Cheers,

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby dscscotty » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:46 pm

Hi, AF have been waiting on them for a while, there's big disruption to supply chains, manufacturing, raw materials etc. world wide, and they and I believe other dealers have found it hard to keep up with demands, with all the lockdown projects going on this has added to some issues. The new clutch will be plug and play, and there's some great add on's that will be great benefit to us when they're revealed, ;)
dscscotty

Postby Knowledge » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:59 pm

I concur with Darren. Ben ran through the reasons for the changes to the clutch with me in August and they are extensive. One of the principle drivers for the change was not so much more power going through modern engines, but the need to address the manufacturing (in)tolerances that had begun the plague the current model.

Rich will be amongst many who will be pleased to hear that the new item will be plug and play.

(Ben said to me he would give me the blue prints for his new design, but challenged me to find someone to manufacture it. In his world, finding the best manufacturer is always the hardest part of brining new products to market)
Last edited by Knowledge on Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge

Postby dickie » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:20 am

Does anyone know if there are alternative springs for these?

I'm building a motor that will put fairly low power and torque through the clutch, so in that application, I could use 8 plates with standard springs to handle twice the torque. Making a lovely light clutch action.
dickie

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:58 pm

Interesting concept.

Having used anything up to nine plates @ times, I wonder how the necessary running clearance between plates will be achieved.

Accuracy of manufacture & materials used are significant factors. The last clutch that I 'engineered' from a motorcycle derived donor has alloy/friction grip plates in conjunction with top quality steel plates in all alloy housings. It worked well & ran true with no distortion or grabbing. Yet the clearance for running plate separation was still more than the standard amount that the Lambretta leverage provides, even with the arm set @ an acute angle, necessitating a shortened arm, which TBH I already possessed.

If "plug & play" means just that, no necessity for increased clutch running clearance, bearing in mind that the number of plates are being doubled, I will be amazed..... :o
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby dscscotty » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:39 pm

You will be ;) also with the new levers and mechanisms ;)
dscscotty

Postby Knowledge » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:03 pm

Yes, new levers are good, and wait until you see Ben’s ‘vanity project’. Clever, clever stuff.
Knowledge

Postby Norrie Bodge » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:56 pm

Any news on the 8 plate clutch?
Norrie Bodge

Postby corrado » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:51 pm

Norrie Bodge wrote:Any news on the 8 plate clutch?

Last "gossip" I heard that it is now 7 plate, but that could just be Facebook hysteria.
corrado

Postby martyn dwane » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:16 pm

Is it even in Production yet ?
martyn dwane

Postby martyn dwane » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:26 pm

6 months on , still no word ?
martyn dwane

Postby Norrie Bodge » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:09 pm

Any news on these