LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Best compromise kit advice please

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Best compromise kit advice please

Postby Pompeydave » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi all, on my last complete engine I built a lump to go into a TV175 that had a standard 58mm GP crank, 116mm conrod, SR190 barrel with a Wiseco 64.4mm TS185 piston, LI125 bored out centre bowl head and TM24 Mikuni. It went quite well, and was quite good on juice, returning 60-70 to the gallon.

I've never had a properly quick bike, and having just turned 50 (blub!) I feel I ought to treat myself to a good one before I start losing my marbles! What I'm trying to achieve from a kit correctly set up is as much low down torque as possible, good acceleration, a comfortable 70 mph cruising speed, good reliability and as good MPG as possible. A big ask I know to get all those factors together, but I'm starting with a blank sheet of paper apart from a nice belt drive kit I picked up a while back which will cope with up to 25 odd hp apparently. Happy to go with noisy exhausts, carb on the wrong side, 5 speed box, any flavour electronic ignition, any carb etc etc.

Any advice welcome. Cheers!
Pompeydave

Re: Best compromise kit advice please

Postby MickYork » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:45 pm

For me the Avanti certainly ticks all the boxes, but i'm sure there are other kits that will meet your criteria and i'm also sure Eden will recommend the GT kit ;)

The TS1, RB, Muggello set up correctly will meet or certainly get close to your requirements.

Bearing in mind the top end is only the start, then there's the exhaust, carb, crank, timing/electrics, etc....
MickYork

Postby Pompeydave » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:25 pm

Hmmm, had a look, and yes the Avanti does look nice. I like the fact that it runs cooler than most other kits. I've always hated that white knuckle feeling of running a Lammie in hot weather or running it hard, never knowing when it's going to nip up. I've only ever had two seizures in over 30 years, but that horrible sinking feeling is something I'm keen to avoid :(

What's the GT kit like?
Pompeydave

Postby corrado » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:52 pm

I don't think there is such a thing as a comfortable cruising speed of 70 mph. That's 6000 rpm even with a TV box.
corrado

Postby Pompeydave » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:30 pm

Yeah, maybe 70 is too ambitious. Will only be blown all over the place at that speed anyway I suppose. It's all a compromise at the end if the day..
Pompeydave

Postby Knowledge » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:07 am

Hi Dave,

This could become an interesting post; well, interesting to me, as I am currently having the same mid-life crisis based on "I've never had a big engine and I am nearly 100".

I don't think you can go wrong with a TS1 with a torquey pipe like a JL3. A 60mm stroke will give more torque and variable ignition certainly helps to smooth-out the ride.

A few years ago I rode a scooter that John Balcombe had prepped for himself. It made 30bhp without welding, but it was easy to ride at 30mph in 4th gear. I'm not suggesting that you need 30bhp, but it does prove that even high end engines can be made to behave in civilised manner.

I've got plans, but I'm saving the details for a future Oily Rag article.

Martin
Knowledge

Postby Eden » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:29 am

High horse power definitely doesnt have to mean an engine wont also be a nice easy ride at low speeds. My GT230 is very happy to plod along in top gear at speeds as low as 20mph and will pick up from that speed with out changing down and without spluttering.
Eden

Postby Pompeydave » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:32 am

Thats what I'm after- loads of low down grunt and real world mpg. I can't think of anything more miserable than a bike you have to thrash to within an inch of its life to get anything out of, that then dies at the slightest incline :cry:
Pompeydave

Postby foremanbob » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:02 am

Dave,
I built a BGM RT225 with 60mm crank giving me 230cc. I run it with a PHBH30 and breath sweet filter with very little spit back; a real bonus over previous.

I use a JL3 curly exhaust. Other than the crank the kit is totally standard.

We just completed a trip to Belgium and France (from Scotland) of just under 1000 miles. The kit performed really well, no hiccups and had plenty in reserve.

Pulled really strongly from low revs up the hills on the A66, and flew up Sutton Bank....

Really happy with my choice on this..........
foremanbob

Postby Pompeydave » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:15 am

Whats it like on juice Bob?
Pompeydave

Postby foremanbob » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:26 pm

Pompeydave wrote:Whats it like on juice Bob?

Just a little over 10miles/litre
foremanbob

Postby Pompeydave » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:08 pm

Hmmm, 45+ mpg. Sounds pretty reasonable compared to some I've heard of :) . Cheers for the info...
Pompeydave

Return to Tuning & Kits