LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

No Spark

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

No Spark

Postby Bilko » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:43 pm

Fresh engine build for my GP and I have no spark.

Checked plug, lead without cap, disconnected green from loom. tried with green from stator and nothing.

A reading from the Multimeter has the green at 523 and the red at 93.

Also using normal and external pick up and the problem is the same with both pick ups.

What to try next?
Bilko

Re: No Spark

Postby Fast n Furious » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:41 pm

First check that you have good earth bonding between the frame and engine casing.
Assuming that there are no potential connection issues, then you need to confirm that the LT coil is generating a CDI charge voltage from the green wire.
After removing the spark plug, connect a multimeter to the green wire and ground. Set the meter to the 200VAC(or thereabouts) scale. (an old analogue meter works best, but a digital one can be used)
Kick the engine over and you should read at least 60 Volts. If it shows as negligible, then it is likely that the LT coil is goosed. ( a very common problem even with new stator plates, irrespective of the maker / supplier)
If the charge shows good, then as you've already tried 2 pickup options, it's likey to be the CDI unit.
Good luck.
Fast n Furious

Postby Bilko » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:56 pm

Great, thank you.
Bilko

Postby Bilko » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:10 am

Dead CDI.

I was able to try the spare and off it went. :D

Thanks for the advice F&F
Bilko