LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

4 speed Casa close ratio gearbox

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

4 speed Casa close ratio gearbox

Postby DaveTomo » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:48 am

Looking at getting a 4 speed close ratio gearbox over the winter (can't run to a 5 speed cost wise). Contacted AF Rayspeed about their close ratio gearbox, but they had loose gears only no gear cluster/Xmas tree and they weren't sure when they would be coming in . I know there are "versions" available on certain auction sites, but I would rather buy from a reputable dealer who has developed/tested and put the time and effort into a product.
So I'm looking at the 4 speed casa close ratio gearbox, any feedback please, longevity .My current top end is a Avanti 225, EX-box clubman and LI150 gearbox 16X47.Appreciate your help
DaveTomo

Re: 4 speed Casa close ratio gearbox

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:39 pm

IMHO the best CR 'box will be a DIY version made from OEM clusters to suit OEM loose gears. But 'DIY' is only practicable if you have access to the facilities required or mates that do. On track, the punishment that such a home brew 'box will go through is testament to their capability. BTW. 'Indian' is not likely to be OEM (as in SIL) & DRT can be brittle :x Personally, I found the AF CR 'boxes brittle & broke immediately, so the quality you refer to is/was questionable....some racers used to complain that they were too soft :roll: which verifies what I say.

Anyway, presuming that making your own is out of the question & you can't find a strong Pacemaker 'box, then from what I can see of the Casa 'box it looks good. Cheaper than Gori's too.

If you can't get feedback on here, then it might be a good idea to speak to a dealer that has sold a few. Chiselspeed have them listed....

As with any gearbox, if the clutch drags, then that alone can cause teeth to break. The clutch arm on the chain case can be placed angled further toward the back for more leverage. Non OEM clutch centres deflect like springs. However, with good standard components utilising a slotted-to-full-depth crown wheel, it is possible to create a six plater.....mind you, ATF is essential in the whole mix IMHO :D
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby al pushpak » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:15 pm

DaveTomo wrote:Looking at getting a 4 speed close ratio gearbox over the winter (can't run to a 5 speed cost wise). Contacted AF Rayspeed about their close ratio gearbox, but they had loose gears only no gear cluster/Xmas tree and they weren't sure when they would be coming in . I know there are "versions" available on certain auction sites, but I would rather buy from a reputable dealer who has developed/tested and put the time and effort into a product.
So I'm looking at the 4 speed casa close ratio gearbox, any feedback please, longevity .My current top end is a Avanti 225, EX-box clubman and LI150 gearbox 16X47.Appreciate your help

There's a pacemaker gearbox on Face ache for sale at the moment for £160 ;) I run one in my Ts1 225 with a Ron Moss EX Box clubman , can't fault it ;)
al pushpak

Postby vegansydney » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:27 pm

I recently fitted a Casa close ratio gearbox to a friend’s engine and while I can’t comment about the longevity, I was impressed with both the quality and the ease it went together.
vegansydney

Postby Hammer RB230 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:27 am

I am sure John at JB Tuning will give you some advice.
Hammer RB230

Postby DaveTomo » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:18 pm

Thank you chaps appreciate the input.Looking back through correspondence I had with Ron from a few years ago since my original post on here ,he was saying what gearing the Avanti would pull.So with that in mind I've decided to save myself a few quid and have bought an original SX 200 gearbox ,with the amount of grunt/ torque the kit has it should pull 4.8 with ease and give it slightly longer legs in fourth.Again appreciate everyone's help and advice.
DaveTomo

Postby corrado » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:44 pm

I've built an engine and put a Casa c/r 4 speed in it, looked top quality, but it's not been on the road yet so can't really comment on reliability. In my touring engine, Mugello 225 with LTH reed, I've been using an Li150 box with 4.7 final drive, which it pulls with ease with a CST3 exhaust, so I decided to drop it to 4.6, I then saw that a supplier in Italy was selling c/r boxes at GP200 price so I thought I'd have a dabble, obviously Indian made (based on the cost) but the quality looked decent, it's based on SX200 1st, 2nd and 3rd with Li150 4th, so in theory should be better than the Li150. When I came to build it the loose gears were sitting slightly below the top of the layshaft which is a no no, so I had to get the top of the layshaft machined down to suit. I'm still in the build stage so I won't know how it performs (if it does) until it's finished. In the Tony Cassidy gearbox visualiser it reads the same as the DRT touring c/r box. Loose gears 49, 40, 37, 34 with tree 12, 14, 17, 20. I may look at 4.5 (18 x 48) if I can find a 48 sprocket in my toy box.
corrado

Return to Tuning & Kits