LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

48mm AF Clubman

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

48mm AF Clubman

Postby gaz_powell » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:50 am

Anyone running one on a TS1?

Picked one up that AF have made at a specific request by someone else.

Wanting a more "standard" look on my S2.

Engine is a steel lined 200cc with yam piston and 115 yam rodded crank, running a 30mm phbh.

Not worried about a little loss in performance.

Not wanting to go BGM or Ex Box etc

Just curious, on experience before i try it.

Gaz
gaz_powell

Re: 48mm AF Clubman

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:10 pm

Not tried any exhaust with small tailpipes on any of my engine builds of over 200cc with performance enhancements since the 1970's, except on track. I made an exhaust that was fantastic with it's torque on tight, twisty tracks for a Group Four. But it was dire on faster tracks as it wouldn't allow over rev @ places like Cadwell Park. That was 7/8" (22 mm) bore.

It seems that some exhaust manufacturers are now cottoning on to the fact that small tailpipes will create issues, notably: loss of power due to 'back up', heat build up, resistance to rev, lack of over-rev etc.

That's the risk you face. A replacement tailpipe of one inch bore will transform it, but you'll likely need to add a supplementary silencer.....
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby dickie » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:14 pm

Gaz, as you know, I never managed to get it on my motor due to the avanti head, so I have no first hand experience.

These tests make it look like a decent performer though.

https://www.scootering.com/scootering-classics-lambretta-clubman-dyno-test-series-part-1/

The test bike is a tuned gt186, but I had a gt186 tuned to same spec (I suspect, as it was done by the same chap) and the timings were similar to a ts1 although from memory the transfers were shorter duration, maybe high 120s?
dickie

Postby dickie » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:59 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:Not tried any exhaust with small tailpipes on any of my engine builds of over 200cc with performance enhancements since the 1970's, except on track. I made an exhaust that was fantastic with it's torque on tight, twisty tracks for a Group Four. But it was dire on faster tracks as it wouldn't allow over rev @ places like Cadwell Park. That was 7/8" (22 mm) bore.

It seems that some exhaust manufacturers are now cottoning on to the fact that small tailpipes will create issues, notably: loss of power due to 'back up', heat build up, resistance to rev, lack of over-rev etc.

That's the risk you face. A replacement tailpipe of one inch bore will transform it, but you'll likely need to add a supplementary silencer.....

Mark, I'm pretty sure that the 48mm clubman has a 25mm tailpipe?
Last edited by dickie on Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dickie

Postby gaz_powell » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:48 pm

This ones got a 25mm id pipe.

Got a bit of time now... Will hopefully, if the pub doesnt call me, fit it next weekend and give it a run out.

Spent most of today cleaning the GP, tightening and replacing missing nut etc sfter last weekends C2C.

Did manage to get S2 to front of garage for next week.. But SX needs tanks putting back in first...
gaz_powell

Return to Tuning & Kits