LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Piston rings

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Piston rings

Postby Jeff t » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:22 pm

Need to change the rings on a 198 Mugello it’s a 66mm piston and the rings are 1mm thick, do I need to take anything else’s into consideration so as an example seen RB rings same size but does the piston manufacture make a difference. Tried a couple of place that stock Mugello and can’t seem to get them but can get the RB ones.
Jeff t

Re: Piston rings

Postby Adam_Winstone » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:57 pm

Watch out for a number of other features/factors:

1. Ring ends and ring peg shapes. You will often find that peg shapes and depths (height of peg) differ and that the end of the ring is profiled to fit that specific shape. Other rings may not fit and/or apply additional pressure on the ppeg.

2. Ring cross section - rings are not always flat. It is quite common for rings to have a slight wedge shape, whilst others do not.

TBH I would continue to look for the correct ones, specific to your piston.

Your best bet might be to try to speak with Cambridge Lambretta on the phone, they should be able to advise or supply.
Adam_Winstone

Postby Jeff t » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:36 pm

Thanks for that I thought it might not be that straight forward, I did try Cambridge but only to see if they had any in stock.
Jeff t

Postby HxPaul » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:41 am

MB have got some.
HxPaul

Postby hullygully » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:46 pm

Adam_Winstone wrote:Watch out for a number of other features/factors:

1. Ring ends and ring peg shapes. You will often find that peg shapes and depths (height of peg) differ and that the end of the ring is profiled to fit that specific shape. Other rings may not fit and/or apply additional pressure on the ppeg.

2. Ring cross section - rings are not always flat. It is quite common for rings to have a slight wedge shape, whilst others do not.

TBH I would continue to look for the correct ones, specific to your piston.

Your best bet might be to try to speak with Cambridge Lambretta on the phone, they should be able to advise or supply.

+1
hullygully

Postby Jeff t » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:43 pm

Thanks I’ll try them tomorrow
Jeff t

Return to Tuning & Kits