LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Chain and sprockets.....

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Chain and sprockets.....

Postby kevspeed » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:01 pm

Hi all, ive not had this before,so any ideas greaty appreciated.....
Im using a 15 tooth front sprocket and a 48 tooth rear sprocket which requires an 81 pich chain.All three items are new and of good quality,but i cant seem to get them to fit. Ive tried fitting the front sprocket,then the rear and chain,and fitting the rear sprocket and chain then the front,but its too tight. I cant seem to get either the clutch spider or the front sprocket shaft over the splines :( ,any ideas on a way to get them to fit?,thanks in advance.......Kev
kevspeed

Re: Chain and sprockets.....

Postby vegansydney » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:05 pm

Stupid question, but did you count the links in the chain? I've had a similar problem only to realize that the chain was put a wrongly labelled box by the supplier.
vegansydney

Postby kevspeed » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:09 pm

vegansydney wrote:Stupid question, but did you count the links in the chain? I've had a similar problem only to realize that the chain was put a wrongly labelled box by the supplier.

Yep,first thing i did. I have a few 80 pitch chains,and they wont go anywhere near it,and my 82 pitch are too slack. This one is just a fraction away from fitting,but as we all know,in engines a mllimeter might as well be a mile!
Im going to try putting them both on at the same time so that there is no angle during fitting :roll:
kevspeed

Postby dickie » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:19 pm

I've sometimes found it easier to fit the front sprocket, then the chain, then fit the rear sprocket inside the chain, but without the brass bush. Then place it over the gearbox input splines. Then finally fit the brass bush.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.
dickie

Postby Martin s » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:26 pm

I'm putting together a 15/48 with SX200/TV175 gearbox and it wouldn't have it with 81 link. Had a new 82 so used that with GT pull down tensioner I had. It went together well with that and is not that far pulled down if that makes sense, I feel confident using it.
Martin s

Postby kevspeed » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:34 am

Well......up early this morning and straight into it, A bit of a faff but i finally managed (after several attempts) to get it all fitted and tightened down. Its a bit tighter than i would have liked but im going to run the engine for a bit to see if it frees up a bit more before i ride it.
kevspeed

Postby hullygully » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:09 am

Martin s wrote:I'm putting together a 15/48 with SX200/TV175 gearbox and it wouldn't have it with 81 link. Had a new 82 so used that with GT pull down tensioner I had. It went together well with that and is not that far pulled down if that makes sense, I feel confident using it.

+1 same as my TV 8-)
hullygully

Return to Tuning & Kits