LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Front end vibration

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Re: Front end vibration

Postby Jeff t » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:08 pm

Coincidentally I have checked the disk without the tyre and it’s bang on the tyre though probably moves between 5 and 10mm when you spin the wheel, so I have let the air out and I am going to over inflate then lower back to what it should be see if it trues up.
Jeff t

Postby hullygully » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:24 pm

are they after market split Indian rims Jef? :?
hullygully

Postby Jeff t » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:45 am

No SIP tubeless, tried the tyre last night and not much difference. Where I am at now is, I’ve changed the springs, secured top buffer, removed some weld splatter on the inside of the forks as one of the links was a bit tight.
Everything looks spot on now apart from two issues, tyre seems to run out by about 5mm although disk is spot on and the wheel is slightly off centre which you can’t adjust.
I’ll put back together and try it
Jeff t

Postby hullygully » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:55 am

is your disk hub spindle horizontal in links?
hullygully

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:19 pm

Jeff t wrote:No SIP tubeless, tried the tyre last night and not much difference. Where I am at now is, I’ve changed the springs, secured top buffer, removed some weld splatter on the inside of the forks as one of the links was a bit tight.
Everything looks spot on now apart from two issues, tyre seems to run out by about 5mm although disk is spot on and the wheel is slightly off centre which you can’t adjust.
I’ll put back together and try it

I suggest that you swap that wheel assembly for anything with less run-out until such time as the cause of the issue is found.

Talking of run-out, if the faces of the disc are not true - as in warped - that will be a judder more easily distinguishable than the harsh vibration likely with over-sprung suspension.

As you say "the wheel is slightly off centre which you can’t adjust" which is a design fault/feature of the otherwise excellent SIP rims. It makes you wonder just how far axially offset the wheels can get when you factor in the double-row layshaft bearings that also do the same :lol:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby nsaints » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:05 pm

What type are the softer engine mounts and where do you get them from ?

I used the mounts listed as SIL from Scooter Restorations, replacing the BGM ones

I've BGM fitted to my TV as well.
I'd need to confirm but fairly sure there's also some vibration starting around 40mph, but disappears above 50mph

There is no vibration throughout the rev range on the GP with SIL mounts
nsaints

Postby Jeff t » Mon May 02, 2022 4:59 pm

Well just been out and it’s miles better, I changed the springs but I think what made the difference was the engine was touching the frame. I have a Casa engine bolt where you can lower the engine and the air intake was touching the frame so lowered it off a bit. Thanks to all those who offered help get some miles on now and see how it goes.
Jeff t

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Mon May 02, 2022 7:13 pm

Jeff t wrote:Well just been out and it’s miles better, I changed the springs but I think what made the difference was the engine was touching the frame. I have a Casa engine bolt where you can lower the engine and the air intake was touching the frame so lowered it off a bit. Thanks to all those who offered help get some miles on now and see how it goes.

Really? The weight of rider counteracts any issue with the inlet touching the frame.

Anyway, I'm glad the problem is diminished, but my thoughts remain with the springs being the issue. Unfortunately, so many remade parts are not fit for purpose..... :roll:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Jeff t » Mon May 02, 2022 7:53 pm

Well obviously can’t be certain, i used BGM springs so I guess they could have made the difference, main thing it feels a lot better.
Jeff t

Previous

Return to Tuning & Kits