LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

TS1 re lining

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

TS1 re lining

Postby shane BBoys » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:08 pm

Hi
I’m looking at getting my slightly scored TS1 cylinder re lined, the question is which route is the best ie new nycasil, ceramic or steel liner?
Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Re: TS1 re lining

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:36 pm

Ceramic if you can afford it, steel lined a bit cheaper ;)
ULC Soulagent

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:18 pm

Depends upon choice of piston. If the current bore is 66 mm, you may as well go 70+ mm IMHO

If you are happy to be stuck with 'dedicated' pistons limited to those specifically for a Lambretta, then perceived wisdom from other Forum users would probably narrow the decision down to a replate of sorts. However, I have taken the 'risk' of utilising a DT250 piston in 70 mm TS1 standard plated bore with great success. Perhaps I have been lucky in ignoring the rules concerning graded pistons but I'd probably do so again :roll:

Personally, my choice goes with anything other than being limited by 'Lambretta specific' pistons based upon experience & cost.

Therefore, I would start the selection process by browsing t'internet for set-ups based upon alternative pistons as well as Grampian Motors, Wiseco websites etc
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:12 pm

About 4 or 5 years ago, I had a couple of seizures on my TS1 requiring a replate. After the second one, a couple of mates wholeheartedly recommended a steel liner, Wossner piston and boost port addition. I had this done and have been more than happy with it ever since. Significantly improved.

If you want to know who did it, send me an IM.
Storkfoot

Postby GP Kevo » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:08 am

It depends on what you mean by "slightly scored". I would describe my Annhilator TS1 as slightly scored, too. It's been running on the original plating since new in 2003. My mate took a diamond hone to it when refitting a new piston and rebuilding the bottom end (new main bearings and seals). The crank is still going strong. The cylinder is showing some wear and there is a score that can be felt when running a fingernail across the bore. But it still runs really well, makes good power, still enough to lift the front wheel in 2nd and 3rd, which isn't bad for such an old barrel. With TS1s available now at a decent price, it might make more sense to buy a new barrel over an expensive replate that may or may not be as good as the original nikasil plating. I might do the same to freshen up my engine. It would only need a little porting, then it would have to keep going for at least the next year or two while I rebuild my GP200 into a TS1 based long range fast tourer.
GP Kevo

Postby hullygully » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:33 am

+1
I'd only re-plate if the plating has come away from the bore
& if I was gonna re-plate I'd use a 71mm dia piston, max safe bore IMHO, & ceramic it
hullygully

Postby shane BBoys » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:45 pm

Thanks for all the advise given, i have purchased a new piston and will be taking that with the barrel and head up to Teeside on Saturday!

Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:04 am

shane BBoys wrote:Hi
I’m looking at getting my slightly scored TS1 cylinder re lined, the question is which route is the best ie new nycasil, ceramic or steel liner?
Cheers Shane.

How you use your scooter may dictate which way to go here. For example:- if you do enough miles to be considering the minor expense of a rebore periodically then a steel liner may serve you best and it is more likely to survive the occassional nip up and get you home.
TS1 and RB's often have scored cylinders. This is usually because they have been run without air filters.
The carb mouth sits right above the hot air exit port on the cylinder cowling. So any road grit and other crap that gets sucked in by the flywheel cooling fan, ends up getting breathed in through the open mouthed carb. It doesn't take long to knacker a cylinder when used like this.
I've seen over 25,000 miles on plated cylinders before they needed replating. They all had good air filters.
Fast n Furious

Postby shane BBoys » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:58 am

Fast n Furious wrote:
shane BBoys wrote:Hi
Cheers Shane.

How you use your scooter may dictate which way to go here. For example:- if you do enough miles to be considering the minor expense of a rebore periodically then a steel liner may serve you best and it is more likely to survive the occassional nip up and get you home.
TS1 and RB's often have scored cylinders. This is usually because they have been run without air filters.
The carb mouth sits right above the hot air exit port on the cylinder cowling. So any road grit and other crap that gets sucked in by the flywheel cooling fan, ends up getting breathed in through the open mouthed carb. It doesn't take long to knacker a cylinder when used like this.
I've seen over 25,000 miles on plated cylinders before they needed replating. They all had good air filters.

Thanks for your reply it is now having a steel liner installed and I do use a filter..

Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Return to Tuning & Kits