LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

48mm VW clubman exhaust system.

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

48mm VW clubman exhaust system.

Postby kevspeed » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:07 am

Hi all.....Has anybody had any luck quietening down a VW clubman pipe? Dont get me wrong...i love the sound,but this one is loud,and i mean LOUD!
If i could reduce it by just a few decibels it would be good enough,but at the moment its way over the top. I have the perforated internal baffles to fit inside (i cut the exhaust in half to get the old rattly stuff out),but while its apart is there anything else i could do to reduce the noise?
kevspeed

Re: 48mm VW clubman exhaust system.

Postby missing lynx » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:32 am

I seem to remember a mate in the 80's had one and by moving the VW pipe in or out changed the tone but not sure if it went any quieter
missing lynx

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:34 pm

It is a fact that with an expansion chamber being conical, it's fairly easy to assess where the 'baffle' is as it is immediately behind the cylindrical belly section. If a pipe is internal just a little longer than the baffle, it will quieten things down before the tailpipe is reached by the escaping gas. However, a guesstimate can be made with a 'box with just a big bore 'U' pipe, though if your system is also a reverse cone, then as per an expansion chamber.

If you have a go @ adding such an internal pipe, it needs to be comfortably bigger in diameter. I'd go for 25 mm bore tube.

The problem remains that the VW mufflers are too small & can cause heat build-up in the cylinder as well as often getting blasted to bits.

I've got it in mind that somebody created a similar exhaust using an MGF muffler.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby kevspeed » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:50 am

Seeing as I have the pipe cut open, I'll have a go with the extra length of pipe inside. On
kevspeed

Return to Tuning & Kits