LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Handlebar mounted choke lever

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Handlebar mounted choke lever

Postby 68Sxandy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi All,
Has anyone fitted one of the handlebar mounted choke levers? I have bought one and wondered what is the best routing for the cable, any help gratefully received.

Andy
68Sxandy

Re: Handlebar mounted choke lever

Postby carlos fandango » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:12 am

Heres what i did with mine , i followed the hydraulic hose which id put through the switch housing .which follows the orig. f/brake cable route.
[URL=http://s630.photobucket.com/user/annierussell/media/20130408_203859_zps81698c8b.jpg.html]Image
carlos fandango

Postby coaster » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:33 am

Thanks for posting this thread, I also have one to fit. My hydraulic hose is routed via a hole in the side of the headset so I am planning of following that route. One question though, when being operated, does the lever stay where set or does it have to be held in place?
coaster

Postby carlos fandango » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:21 am

The lever should spring back when you take your finger off. I didn't like this , if I'm on a long a road or motorway I just want to keep it on . So I tightened the bolt up and lo titled it so h have to move it back with my thumb, just remember to move it back when you come off throttle at a exit or island for example, because the engine will just stall .
carlos fandango

Postby coaster » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:37 am

carlos fandango wrote:The lever should spring back when you take your finger off. I didn't like this , if I'm on a long a road or motorway I just want to keep it on . So I tightened the bolt up and lo titled it so h have to move it back with my thumb, just remember to move it back when you come off throttle at a exit or island for example, because the engine will just stall .

Thanks for that 8-)
coaster

Postby Knowledge » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:40 pm

I have fitted a FZR600 choke lever to the LHS of the handbars (it rotates with the gear change). It has an adjustable retaining screw which allows you to have the lever self-return, or remain on, which is my preferred setting.

I had been struggling with high mid range pinking, which equates to dual carriageway cruising speed. Not good, and I am sure this killed a couple of my engines in the last few years. I have wondered if this related to timing or fuelling, but lacked proof.

With the manual choke fitted, I am able to feed-in a tiny amount of choke as soon as the I detect the pinking and it disappears, instantly. I am able to leave the choke on a fraction and ride with confidence.

Now I know that the pinking is a fuelling issue, so I can work on the carb to (hopefully) cure the problem for good. However, I will not remove the handbar mounted lever, cos I love it.

(expect much of this post to appear in a forthcoming Oily Rag)
Knowledge

Postby Rich Oswald » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Is there any noticeable change in the note of the engine tone or smoothness of the engine when you use it at full chat?

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby carlos fandango » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:01 pm

Same as me Knowledge ...On the way to the 8 balls on the A14 and A11 i had pinking at quarter throttle, by using the choke and rolling on and off the throttle i could control it.
On the way home, with the road noise increasing from the rain , i couldnt hear the pinking so just guessed using the choke and watching my egt. However about 60 miles in on the A14 my engine died, locked up solid . :( i thought id holed a piston and the loose alloy had siezed it solid :(
However when i stripped it down, id had a large chunk of piston crown edge break off ! :(

Rich
No i havent noticed a different tone particularly ? its just the same as flicking the normal choke on with your foot , but much easier :D
carlos fandango

Postby 68Sxandy » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks for the replies guys and the advice, all fitted now and working fine. Onto my next query: anyone tell me the pros and cons of using a remote air filter- mine is currently running with an open carb and therefore spraying fuel and oil all over my panel and floorboards.

Cheers again :?:
68Sxandy

Postby Knowledge » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:33 am

Hi Andy,

May I politely suggest you start a new thread about the air filter? This will allow the subject to stand-alone, which may attract more responses, and perhaps make the subject easier to search for.

Just a thought.....

Martin
Knowledge

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:58 am

I can see the benefits of the choke being handlebar mounted for ease of use when doing choke tests to set up your carb. I can also see the benefit of using it if you get an air leak you can't fix on the road. But surely using it regularly is just masking the fact that somewhere on your throttle progression you are running lean??
Storkfoot

Postby Eden » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Ive had one fitted on my cast 240 engine for some time, I tend to use it in conjunction with the temp gauge. if the temps are climbing, adding a small amount of choke cools it back down. However the temps can start to climb again when ridding hard so if I find im ridding with the choke full on I tend to slow down a bit for a while.

With mine when its put on a little when at high rpm it always misses a couple of beats as its applied. I wouldn't recommend running with it on all the time because if your having to do that then its obvious your just masking an underlying problem with jetting, timing, compression, fuel or all of the above.

I don't run one on my GT230 but that's not such an extreme tune like the cast 240 and its carb is much easier to set up than the airstriker on the 240.
Eden

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:33 pm

So, in essence, if you have an engine that is approaching a real race tune, acknowledging that the air/fuel ratio is always going to verge on weak somewhere on the throttle ( as it's impossible to jet in the precise ratio all across the progression) and if you regularly ride on "the edge of sanity" this could prove useful? :-)
Storkfoot

Postby trev t » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:20 pm

storkfoot not really got it yet have you..
this item is to be used when running flat out (for a long time )on any lambretta it increases fuel and cools top end , thus it does not heat up as much and sieze...
trev t

Postby Knowledge » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:30 pm

Riding on the edge of sanity.

It could be the club's new logo...... :D
Knowledge

Postby trev t » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:38 pm

like that one martin,, get a bagde done,,, lol
trev t

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:42 pm

trev t wrote:storkfoot not really got it yet have you..
this item is to be used when running flat out (for a long time )on any lambretta it increases fuel and cools top end , thus it does not heat up as much and sieze...

Thank you for that interesting insight :D
Storkfoot

Return to Tuning & Kits