LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Spark Plug Position, Mugello v4

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Spark Plug Position, Mugello v4

Postby steve_lawrence » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:29 am

Had an engine rebuild using a Mugello 186 v4. When I went to check the plug colour I couldn't get my usual plug wrench on to the plug. As its the same spanner that I've always used I couldn't understand why it wouldn't fit. My previous engine was a Mugello v1 and the spanner went on easily. The only way I could get the plug out was to place a socket over it (with difficulty) then undo it using an adjustable spanner. It looks as though the plug position is slightly different than the earlier version and as a result the plug no longer sits in the centre of the hole in the head cowling. Anyone else come across this? I know that I could trim the head cowl but wouldn't it be better if the supplied head had the hole in the correct place to start off with?

Steve
steve_lawrence

Re: Spark Plug Position, Mugello v4

Postby peejay » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:03 am

hi Steve,
i had a similar problem with an early Mugello, a batch of heads had been machined incorrectly, send it back for a replacement.
peejay

Postby gizmo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:32 pm

had same issue with an imola ultimate kit. I just carefully filed the cowl, not ideal but a quick fix and it didnt need a lot off
gizmo

Postby peejay » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:21 am

gizmo wrote:had same issue with an imola ultimate kit. I just carefully filed the cowl, not ideal but a quick fix and it didnt need a lot off

my head was so far out that it was difficult to fit the plug spanner on without removing the rear damper :roll:
peejay

Postby bamrattle » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:43 am

Had the same issue with a head from Mb couldnt even get a plug in without loosening the head cowling. Turned out it was a cheap indian head skimmed and reprofiled by Mb and sold as an upgrade for small block motors.. What a hassle few days trying to convince them it was of no use.. Eventually had a refund.
Just shows even big names sell rubbish
bamrattle

Postby steve_lawrence » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:59 am

Not an uncommom problem then. My scooter starts and runs well, so don't think that it's going to affect the performance. Just an additional "hassle" if you have to change the plug at the side of the road. For a kit costing over £400 you'd expect it to fit properly, wouldn't you?

Steve
steve_lawrence

Return to Tuning & Kits