LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Electric start for Lambrettas

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Electric start for Lambrettas

Postby stevejarvis3 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:47 pm

Hi can anyone help.

I have problems with my knees from years of cycling but my Right on which I've already had two operations and waiting a third, has given up the ghost.

Does anyone know a dealer that offers a kit for adding electric start to lammies, or anyone whose done a home made attemt at doing this?

I know ScootRS give you the option of adding electric start if you buy a GP from them, but I have an LI and an SX200 that I don't want to give up.

Any help or advice much appreciated.
stevejarvis3

Re: Electric start for Lambrettas

Postby gerryjunior » Mon May 18, 2015 9:51 pm

gerryjunior

Postby nickw » Tue May 19, 2015 6:46 pm

There are some Spanish Lambretta mag flanges that were made with a cut out to put a starter motor. Never seen one used.
nickw

Postby Digger » Wed May 20, 2015 7:57 am

nickw wrote:There are some Spanish Lambretta mag flanges that were made with a cut out to put a starter motor. Never seen one used.

Also a cutout in the case - that setup on the ScooterHelp site looks a bit fragile to me.

Digger

Postby Steve J » Wed May 20, 2015 10:53 am

The idea of fitting an electric starter system that drives onto a ring gear on the Lambretta flywheel concerns me. Lambretta cranks have a reputation for twisting on the big end pin, and applying torque to the rim of the flywheel (which is a long way from the flywheel side roller bearing) seems to be a good way of encouraging the crank to twist. It would probably be a good idea to weld the big end pin to the crank webs if going down that route, IMHO.
The only Lambretta (-ish) engine I'm aware of with an electric starter on the flywheel side is the NSU Prima D, which uses a Dynastart system in place of the flywheel. The big difference is that the crank on that engine is supported on separate ball bearings - two on the drive side of the crank, and two on the mag side. That means the crank is more evenly supported, and it is much less likely to twist out of line. Added to that, the Dynastart is effectively a direct-drive system, and without gears, it does not apply any side loading to the flywheel. It might be theoretically possible to adapt some sort of direct drive motor/generator to fit on the flywheel side of a more modern Lambretta engine, but that's a major design exercise.
The electric start system used on the Lambretta LDA/AVV drives onto a toothed ring on the clutch bell, so there are no issues with putting additional loads onto the crank. (I have a suspicion that provision was made on the Tv175 Series 1 for fitting an electric starter, but that would have driven onto the gearbox end of the crank as well.)
Steve J

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat May 23, 2015 10:21 pm

Steve J's remarks are absolutely correct......I think. I tend to believe that the main reasons for cranks twisting (despite the inherent poor fit) are usually due to factors such as over revving, missed gears etc.

However, that is just my own observation.

What I wanted to say was, surely the set-up as discussed would work whilst pulling in the clutch?

Hence, the mass that needs turning to start an engine might well be considerably reduced.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby señorblanco » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:12 pm

Apologies for bumping an old thread but I've found myself in a similar situation due to recent health problems. A doctor warned against kick starting anything again which gives me two options; sell my Lambretta or look into a push button ignition. I've read the posts on this thread and though most of it went over my head I get the impression that it's not the easiest of jobs to pull off, if it's possible at all. So, a long shot, but can anyone say they've done this or heard of it being done successfully? Slightly longer shot...if you're confident you can do it and get to North Yorkshire to do it for me, that would be fantastic ;)
señorblanco

Postby dickie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:52 pm

A guy near me in Newcastle put an electric start on and it worked well when I saw it. I could put you in touch if you like.
dickie

Postby dscscotty » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:16 pm

Phil Stewart, from Jarra! done one for his one legged pal, great engineering
dscscotty

Postby monument7 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:05 pm

señorblanco wrote:Apologies for bumping an old thread but I've found myself in a similar situation due to recent health problems. A doctor warned against kick starting anything again which gives me two options; sell my Lambretta or look into a push button ignition. I've read the posts on this thread and though most of it went over my head I get the impression that it's not the easiest of jobs to pull off, if it's possible at all. So, a long shot, but can anyone say they've done this or heard of it being done successfully? Slightly longer shot...if you're confident you can do it and get to North Yorkshire to do it for me, that would be fantastic ;)

Myself and Jarra Phil made one for my S3 and it works fine, hoping to get kits made up soon but so many varieties and sourcing right priced parts will be a headache. I also made bar end mirrors cos I am also an old fart and they work well also.
I can send pic's if you want by e mail cos posting on here is a pain.
Cheers
Dave
monument7

Postby Watfordwhite » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Super tune are advertising one in the latest scootering mag. Inc fitting
Watfordwhite

Postby HxPaul » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:25 pm

Last edited by HxPaul on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HxPaul

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:11 pm

Just to add another two-pennies worth...

Besides the load of the full drivetrain not being taken by the crankshaft (the clutch can be pulled in) there is @ least one racer that starts their engine via the flywheel side of the crank, using a hand held electric device.

In any case, there are a number of DIY conversions that can be found on t'internet, Guy Topper has done a conversion & besides that, the forthcoming Supertune kit shows there is the possibility of adding electric start.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby TS1-200 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi a bit late, but Gary seale does an electric start conversion, at the moment he does the whole installation, but I`m sure he could supply a kit, contact him on 07815716593 or contact him through FB
TS1-200

Postby MickYork » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:03 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: the forthcoming Supertune kit shows there is the possibility of adding electric start.

What's the forthcoming Supertune kit ? Sounds interesting.
MickYork

Postby rossclark » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:37 pm

MickYork wrote:
Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: the forthcoming Supertune kit shows there is the possibility of adding electric start.

About £1200 apparently...
rossclark

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:56 am

Is now a good time to say SCOMADI........ Job done. Ouch :lol:
Fast n Furious

Postby Rich Oswald » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:27 am

MickYork wrote:

That's Gary Seale's kit.
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:31 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:
MickYork wrote:

That's Gary Seale's kit.

I don't have the first advert in Scootering to hand, but I thought the kit cost shown was a lot less....Inflation, eh? :lol:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby monument7 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:31 pm

rossclark wrote:
MickYork wrote:

About £1200 apparently...

£1200 ???????? really :o :o
monument7

Return to Tuning & Kits