LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Front sprocket set up

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Front sprocket set up

Postby jonno » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:53 pm

Need new front sprocket and matching thing,crush drive?,and front sprocket bolt.I have bought new from SR /camlam.I'm guessing these would be the best you can get.Or I have some slightly worn Innocenti ones,which would be best?
jonno

Re: Front sprocket set up

Postby Knowledge » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:21 am

The front bolt is becoming a difficult item to find, or at least a quality one. Having said that, the quality of this bolt has been an issue for many years - even Dave Webster makes reference to buying a six sided (rather than 12 sided) socket to use specifically for this bolt as the bolt head was always a bit iffy.

I keep an eye out for good ones at parts fairs, but I did see a guy selling them for about a tenner each at the last Wicksteed (ouch).

I think the trick here is to buy the best you can and carefully fit each component individually, and then in combinations, until you go for the final fit. If it don't fit, don't force it.
Knowledge

Postby Captain Pugwash » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:13 am

I don't think the old ones are iffy, maybe just a little shallow leaving very little for the socket to get a grip on.
Use a six sided socket but grind it flush so the socket sits better on the hex headed bolt.

Most sockets either six or twelve sided have a chamfered leading edge to help fit the socket more easily over the bolt, grinding the socket flush to lose the chamfer makes for a better grip on the shallow headed Innocenti drive bolt.

Same thing for removing hub studs.

This has been mentioned before on the old forum.
Captain Pugwash

Postby Scooter Paul » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:33 pm

I'm pretty sure MB sells quality cush drive bolts.

Paul
Scooter Paul

Postby Lammer205 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi
I'm in work at the moment so if someone can tell me the socket size for this bolt so i can grind one down here , as i am doing a gearbox and sprocket change over the weekend! Thanks Lammer205
Lammer205

Postby jonno » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:04 pm

Bolt head is 14 mm.
jonno

Postby robert gilchrist » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:12 pm

I just bought front sprocket bolt from MB, & we'll pleased & also for ref, I got 6 sided wrench socket from B&Q my original one was well chewed from previous rebuild? To get the old one off I bought a set of wrench lock grips for taking off rounded or chewed bolt heads, great tool by the way!
robert gilchrist

Return to Tuning & Kits