LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

lambretta 290 rotax

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Re: lambretta 290 rotax

Postby holty » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:53 pm

clutch basket with cush drive has been extended, i will have to cut it down to size, i will have to get the plates in there to see how many i can squeeze in, does anyone know whats the strongest springs please ?
ImageUntitled by stephen holt, on Flickr
holty

Postby jonno » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:56 pm

Camlam race springs are very strong ,tho youll end up with a left arm like Popeye lol
jonno

Postby hullygully » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:55 pm

I think the Broady strong uns are 2.3mm thk!!!! toooooo strong for 4 reedspeed red plates with bell machined out for 5, scoot crept :(
hullygully

Postby a.lo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:43 pm

I thought that with the large amount of plates you could fit in that basket, you could actually run softer springs, at least not very strong ones.
a.lo

Postby holty » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:35 am

a.lo wrote:I thought that with the large amount of plates you could fit in that basket, you could actually run softer springs, at least not very strong ones.

this basket has a cush drive fitted so it doesnt have has much depth available as a standard basket, so i have gone for a packer plate and an extended spider and basket to enable more plates than a standard basket, mainly as im hoping for a very high amount of power and torque, so its going to have to be strong, thats why i think it will need strong springs, i would prefer soft but cant see them holding the power this is going to make, it will probably end up being a bit of trial and error to see what will prevent clutch slip.
holty

Postby holty » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:48 pm

made a bracket for my fuel tank, and then a tray for the battery, my external pick up arrived, so thats my next job
holty

Postby holty » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:42 am

got my external pick-up fitted, i bit tricky as when i lighten the flywheel i removed the arrow, anyway i just used a dial gauge to find tdc then put a hacksaw cut it the flywheel and marked the mag housing for tdc, then used my timing wheel to mark 17 degrees before tdc, then i was able to drill and tap the flywheel for the trigger, i needed to use the large one, you get both small and large in the kit, i used plenty of studlock on the holding screw for the trigger so cannot come undone. i also assembled my clutch so was able to cut the basket down to a size that matches the extended spider, it might want a bit more filing off. i also had a bit of a tight spot in the gearbox so i had that apart, turned out that one of the gear selector pawls was too tight in the cursor track, replaced th pawl with another and gearbox nice and smooth, so got that shimmed up and bolted up and finished, i have found another problem, the rear brake cam and shaft is very sloppy in the hole in the casing so i think i will need to ream out the hole and make a bush to fit.
Last edited by holty on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
holty

Postby Knowledge » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:28 am

I'm still loving this story. It is good to see you putting almost as much effort into keeping us informed as you are putting into the build.
Knowledge

Postby Mr G in NYC » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:08 am

Great Thread , well done . G
Mr G in NYC

Postby coaster » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:19 pm

hullygully wrote:it's just like waiting for the next series of Game Of Thrones this....... :lol:

Or Better Call Holty 8-)
coaster

Postby holty » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:36 pm

thanks guys, its nice to get a bit of feedback, ive reamed out the rear brake spindle hole and added 2 oilite bushes, it was quite a tight fit so warmed the casing up and made a drift to knock them in, well pleased with the end result, a perfect fit.
holty

Postby Adam_Winstone » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:30 pm

Nicely done!
Adam_Winstone

Postby hullygully » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:30 pm

Would the exposed position of the pick up, lower end of engine/mag flange, be in more of a chance of water contact? :?
Or has some one being using one in all weathers?
Would water have any detrimental effect on the spark? (only asking cos its a geat idea this) 8-)
hullygully

Postby dickie » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:10 pm

hullygully wrote:Would the exposed position of the pick up, lower end of engine/mag flange, be in more of a chance of water contact? :?
Would water have any detrimental effect on the spark? (only asking cos its a geat idea this) 8-)

If the components are well sealed (and they seem to be on mine) then they'll be fine. There is no spark in that area, just a magnetic field, and water has (almost) no effect on that. The external pick up is nice when you're adjusting it, but has diddly squat to do with performance once you've set it up.

Nice motor by the way.
dickie

Postby holty » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:06 pm

ive welded an extension to the kickstart and enlarged the slot for the pin, polished the side case and fitted the kickstart and shaft, first spring didnt work right so had to strip and try another, works very well, i got an sx kickstart as they are a little longer as i think it might be hard to kick.
holty

Postby coaster » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:25 am

Amazing engineering Holty but just wondering with the additional compression plus extending the shaft whether the shaft would benefit from some beefing up on the diagonal section?
coaster

Postby coaster » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:40 am

hullygully wrote:Would the exposed position of the pick up, lower end of engine/mag flange, be in more of a chance of water contact? :?

The pickup is completely sealed and goes inside the cowling on fan cooled engines. Anthony Tambs (Scootronics) who makes and sells them has posted oscilloscope videos which show a rock steady pulse as apposed to a wandering pulse from the conventional pickup. Won't make it more powerful but might improve tickover and starting. The real beauty of the external pickup is that you can leave the internal one in place in case the other one fails ;)

He has just taken someone on to help with assembly of his electronic gizmos which is not before time as his waiting list is getting silly :cry:
coaster

Postby holty » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:55 am

coaster wrote:Amazing engineering Holty but just wondering with the additional compression plus extending the shaft whether the shaft would benefit from some beefing up on the diagonal section?

i did think about it, i have a shaft that has bent and half sheared, it an original innocenti one and i dont think any welding would stop it from breaking where it did, i will say the one i have used does appear to be quite beefy and rayspeed who i bought it from said they have had no problems with them, so fingers crossed.
holty

Postby holty » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:30 pm

have had a re think and moved my tank forward to give more room for the carb

ive also added an extra bracket to my exhaust to give more support

and ive just fitted my new front sprocket, chain, 7 bgm race clutch plates and mb springs

holty

Postby holty » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:28 pm

so engine is all finished now, so i have taken the engine out of my old rb250 as this is where the 290 is going, o also removed the long range tank as it left no room for the carb, and fitted the 13 litre tank in the forward position, also done a repair in the area behind the number plate, been to rayspeed today and got the rest of the parts i need, apart from the bits ive forgot :D
holty

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning & Kits