LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Shortening a tailpipe on a box pipe

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Shortening a tailpipe on a box pipe

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:24 pm

I lost the tailpipe to my Clubman on a French motorway. I couldn't stop to pick it up I then did 600 miles home with the exhaust in this state:

Other than being much much louder, the performance was still relatively OK.

I'm thinking of welding on a shorter straight tailpipe, say 4 or 5 inches, and getting the rest patched up, until I have the cash to buy a new exhaust.

Any thoughts?
Storkfoot

Re: Shortening a tailpipe on a box pipe

Postby coaster » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:23 am

Is the tail pipe a bigger diameter on the BGM than a normal clubman? If not, you could cut the arse end off a big bore clubby and weld that in place. Someone is bound to have a clapped out clubby for bear money and you would end up with something more like a permanent repair.
coaster

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:43 am

I have one but it's a different shape and would be too problematic, mate. Hence, the shorter straight tubing idea.
Storkfoot

Postby coaster » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:48 am

Storkfoot wrote:I have one but it's a different shape and would be too problematic, mate. Hence, the shorter straight tubing idea.

I was only thinking of using enough of the doner pipe to cover the missing section, say just the pipe plus an inch or 2 of metal from the box. A welder should be able to sort it easily enough.
coaster

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:06 am

I hadn't thought about using the donor box section. I'll have another look at this tonight. Cheers, Col.
Storkfoot

Postby Storkfoot » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:18 pm

The box section of my donor clubman was a different profile. Since I posted I have taken a step back and thought about it again. I have an engine and exhaust that compliment each other and work really well. Why was I contemplating bodging to save a few quid :?

Anyway, I have seen the light and it's going back to the dealer to fix tomorrow
Storkfoot

Return to Tuning & Kits