LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

GT 240 / GT casing

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

GT 240 / GT casing

Postby Covboy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi all
I would like some feedback from anyone who is using either the new GT 240 kit and / or the new GT casing...

Cheers
Steve
Covboy

Re: GT 240 / GT casing

Postby coaster » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:01 pm

I have one of the GT240 kits fitted to a TV200 case. Very pleased with it so far, completed the build just before leaving for Adria with only 200 miles completed. Had it set up on a Dyno then finished running it in on the way down. With a bgm pipe fitted it pulls from 30 mph through to 65mph in 4th with no power band up hill down dale loaded with gear for / weeks camping. If you want to run a filter then go for the left and hand inlet manifold option
Last edited by coaster on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coaster

Postby Angry Bloke » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:33 pm

I have a couple of GT Casings .

The quality is excellent, as is the finish .Threads and bearing housings etc are well machined .
Strengthened in the areas that needed it .

Loads of spare alloy everywhere for options galore.
So far they do everything that a original casing did but new !
Angry Bloke

Postby Leotech » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:22 am

I have a GT 240 kit fitted, done around 600 miles now and loving it. The first 20 miles were very tight, next 2-300 miles running in and then opened it up a bit 50-55 on way to Llandudno, 60-65 on the way back.

Still babying it to a degree, held flat out for 2 miles but no further yet, and not 100% got the correct gearing yet but its a good piece of kit.
Leotech

Postby Scooterdude » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:42 am

Leotech wrote:I have a GT 240 kit fitted, done around 600 miles now and loving it. The first 20 miles were very tight, next 2-300 miles running in and then opened it up a bit 50-55 on way to Llandudno, 60-65 on the way back.

Still babying it to a degree, held flat out for 2 miles but no further yet, and not 100% got the correct gearing yet but its a good piece of kit.

What's it like on fuel Leo?
Scooterdude

Postby bike grim » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:11 am

I'm really tempted and keep going on Disco Dez's site to have a look like a big kid. I'd have to sell some other stuff though..I'd imagine with a 5 speed box it would be pretty much everything you'd would want for a tourer.
bike grim

Postby Lockman69 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:11 pm

Leotech wrote:I have a GT 240 kit fitted, done around 600 miles now and loving it. The first 20 miles were very tight, next 2-300 miles running in and then opened it up a bit 50-55 on way to Llandudno, 60-65 on the way back.

What pipe/carb and gearing are you using ?...I am in the process of putting mine together, I opted to use the bigger carb TX35 Manifold option.

Cheers
Lockman69

Postby Leotech » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:12 pm

Scooterdude wrote:

Standard tank does about 60 miles, by which time I'm ready to have a rest anyway! Other day I worked it out about 28mpg.

I have a 142 main jet fitted tho and they recommend a 140, I'm leaving mine as is until I get 1000 ,miles on it and give it good beasting so maybe it might get a bit better.
Leotech

Postby Leotech » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:31 pm

Lockman69 wrote:

What pipe/carb and gearing are you using ?...I am in the process of putting mine together, I opted to use the bigger carb TX35 Manifold option.

Cheers

I got the carb off Rich, a PHBH 30 with his specs fitted, the pipe I'm not set on just yet, Its got a Gori GP50 and its OK but I don't like the one piece U bend and am going to get it modified to a slip joint and separate manifold. Every time I check tighten the exhaust flange nuts they are loose and with the one piece U bend it's a ball ache to check them. I have considered a Franspeed but don't like expansion pipes sticking out.

The clutch (AF Road) starts to slip when I accelerate in top at about 60-65 which means I have still not settled on the gearbox. Thinking of a GP200 or GP150 box so I can run a bigger front sprocket and still get 4.9 ish ratio.

I cant justify the cost of a 5 speed box.
Leotech

Postby coaster » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:37 am

Mine is running a 30 PHBH and BGM clubman V3. I jetted it according to Rich T's recommendations and did a hundred miles running in before taking it to a dyno. The operator ran it up and immediately noted that irt was running way too rich at full throttle and reduced it to a 123. It was also rich in the mid range and he did a lot of runs and small adjustments and ended up with a washer under the needle (can't recall what at the moment). I then set off for Adria and did a further 2100 miles running in as I went although I did up the main jet to 125 as a precaution first. After 500 or so miles we were running at 55-60mph with blasts up to 65 for overtaking. At one point approaching Switzerland were held a steady 60 mph for about 10 minutes with an ambient temp in excess of 33c with absolutely not bother at all. I recorded fuel put in at every fill up and according to my calcs I averaged around 55mpg.

Right, 2,200 trouble free miles but on the way back from the ferry in England I ran out of petrol and had a bit of a job restarting it. It got me home but seemed a bit down on power. Eventually I decided to check the timing as I'm using one of Anthony Tambs external pickups and wondered if it had mover but when rocking the flywheel by hand I noticed that I could easily turn the crank paste TDC with my fingers and also there was a loud clank as it came up on what little compression there was. Top end off and it is obvious the piston is shagged. The carbon build up had closed up the squish band around some of the circumference and had been causing the piston to rock sideways in the bore and I'm suspecting the 4% recommended oil ratio for that :? The ring gap is in excess 35though and I could get a 10 thou feeler down between the piston and bore. I should point out that I had to run it without a filter of any sort due to restricted panel clearance with the off side carb position. I'm having to wait a couple of weeks for a new piston as Rich is on holiday at the moment, shame as I was really looking forward to using it on the Derby 150 :( I'm now having to get my Avanti ready as a stand in 8-)
Last edited by coaster on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coaster

Postby Scooterdude » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:34 am

coaster wrote:Mine is running a 30 PHBH and BGM clubman V3. I jetted it according to Rich T's recommendations and did a hundred miles running in before taking it to a dyno. The operator ran it up and immediately noted that irt was running way too rich at full throttle and reduced it to a 123. It was also rich in the mid range and he did a lot of runs and small adjustments and ended up with a washer under the needle (can't recall what at the moment). I then set off for Adria and did a further 2100 miles running in as I went although I did up the main jet to 125 as a precaution first. After 500 or so miles we were running at 55-60mph with blasts up to 65 for overtaking. At one point approaching Switzerland were held a steady 60 mph for about 10 minutes with an ambient temp in excess of 33c with absolutely not bother at all. I recorded fuel put in at every fill up and according to my calcs I averaged around 55mpg.

Right, 2,200 trouble free miles but on the way back from the ferry in England I ran out of petrol and had a bit of a job restarting it. It got me home but seemed a bit down on power. Eventually I decided to check the timing as I'm using one of Anthony Tambs external pickups and wondered if it had mover but when rocking the flywheel by hand I noticed that I could easily turn the crank paste TDC with my fingers and also there was a loud clank as it came up on what little compression there was. Top end off and it is obvious the piston is shagged. The carbon build up had closed up the squish band around some of the circumference and had been causing the piston to rock sideways in the bore and I'm suspecting the 4% recommended oil ratio for that :? The ring gap is in excess 35though and I could get a 10 though feller down between the piston and bore. I should point out that I had to run it without a filter of any sort due to restricted panel clearance with the off side carb position. I'm having to wait a couple of weeks for a new piston as Rich is on holiday at the moment, shame as I was really looking forward to using it on the Derby 150 :( I'm now having to get my Avanti ready as a stand in 8-)

It's a standard Suzuki TS 250 piston isn't it that they use? Mitaka do a quality kit to suit.
Scooterdude

Postby Toddy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:45 am

coaster wrote:Mine is running a 30 PHBH and BGM clubman V3. I jetted it according to Rich T's recommendations and did a hundred miles running in before taking it to a dyno. The operator ran it up and immediately noted that irt was running way too rich at full throttle and reduced it to a 123. It was also rich in the mid range and he did a lot of runs and small adjustments and ended up with a washer under the needle (can't recall what at the moment). I then set off for Adria and did a further 2100 miles running in as I went although I did up the main jet to 125 as a precaution first. After 500 or so miles we were running at 55-60mph with blasts up to 65 for overtaking. At one point approaching Switzerland were held a steady 60 mph for about 10 minutes with an ambient temp in excess of 33c with absolutely not bother at all. I recorded fuel put in at every fill up and according to my calcs I averaged around 55mpg.

Right, 2,200 trouble free miles but on the way back from the ferry in England I ran out of petrol and had a bit of a job restarting it. It got me home but seemed a bit down on power. Eventually I decided to check the timing as I'm using one of Anthony Tambs external pickups and wondered if it had mover but when rocking the flywheel by hand I noticed that I could easily turn the crank paste TDC with my fingers and also there was a loud clank as it came up on what little compression there was. Top end off and it is obvious the piston is shagged. The carbon build up had closed up the squish band around some of the circumference and had been causing the piston to rock sideways in the bore and I'm suspecting the 4% recommended oil ratio for that :? The ring gap is in excess 35though and I could get a 10 though feller down between the piston and bore. I should point out that I had to run it without a filter of any sort due to restricted panel clearance with the off side carb position. I'm having to wait a couple of weeks for a new piston as Rich is on holiday at the moment, shame as I was really looking forward to using it on the Derby 150 :( I'm now having to get my Avanti ready as a stand in 8-)

125 seems quite small ? Did it seize when you ran out of fuel then ?
Toddy

Postby Leotech » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:26 am

Mines done the "go onto reserve seized up" thing. Now when I think I'm near reserve I put it on before it needs it and find the next garage. Just soft heat seizes that I have ridden away from. Its probably over it now as it was very early in its running in cycle. Its the first motor I've ever had do that with no warning, usually they just splutter a bit or you hear a slight pinking when reserve is looming.

I have a 200 GT kit also and after 1500 miles the piston was toast. I fitted a new one and its been sweet ever since. The pistons are £60 so its cheap to replace. I initially ran the 200 without a filter and when I stripped it at 250 miles to look see the piston looked buggered then so I fitted a filter. I left the piston in though until 1500 miles as it was still running fine. Because of that the 240 has never run without a filter.

Suzuki TS250 genuine pistons are still available from Suzuki dealers but they are £120 ish, After running in I thought about buying one of those.

Prox also do piston kits.

125 main seems small, mine feels fine on a 142. I just jet mine to ear and feel though. Rich recommended a 135 to start with but last week he said they had decided to go 140.
Leotech

Postby Leotech » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Leotech wrote:
Scooterdude wrote:

Standard tank does about 60 miles, by which time I'm ready to have a rest anyway! Other day I worked it out about 28mpg.

I have a 142 main jet fitted tho and they recommend a 140, I'm leaving mine as is until I get 1000 ,miles on it and give it good beasting so maybe it might get a bit better.

I did my calculation wrong, just done it again now and its 38 MPG.
Leotech

Postby GeorgeS » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:20 pm

Sorry to hear you've had trouble with yours, @Coaster.

A 125 main does seem small, I think I have a 143 in mine (up from the 130 it came with) but it perhaps a little on the rich side. Still not had mine dyno'ed & must get round to it.

Cheers,
George.
GeorgeS

Postby coaster » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:56 pm

GeorgeS wrote:.....A 125 main does seem small, I think I have a 143 in mine (up from the 130 it came with) but it perhaps a little on the rich side. Still not had mine dyno'ed & must get round to it.

I did originally have a 140 in there when it was dyno'd but it was struggle to make 13.5bhp with the panel on and only 15 or so with it removed :? That was what lead the operator to reduce the main in pursuit of the correct AF ratio. Not long after that I set off fully loaded up for the trip to Adria and the rear brake started to bind after about 7 miles and I ground to a halt after 1o :shock: A subsequent investigation showed that I had routed the rear brake cable wrongly and it was pulling on with suspension movement. The dyno guy was quite a bit heavier than me so when he sat on it on the dyno the brake must have been dragging which must have affected the dyno readings......I think :?
coaster

Postby GeorgeS » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:46 pm

I guess it may have affected the HP reading but not the AF, right?

I'll keep my 143 in for a while longer now I've got something to record CHT & perhaps drop it to a lower & see what the difference is with that & general performance. I do feel I'm a little on the rich side.
GeorgeS

Postby Angelo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:56 pm

When you get the new piston, are you planning to keep with the current 125 main or are you planning to increase it?

The reason I ask is my experience is very similar to you.. My GT240 also with a BGM Clubman started off with a 135 main as recommended but when dyno'd after i ran it in he reduced it to a 123 as it was boggy above 55MPH. I'm going to increase it as i'm concerned the 123 is too small but I'm interested to know if you will keep yours after the trouble you've had.
Angelo

Postby coaster » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:26 pm

Angelo wrote:.................When you get the new piston, are you planning to keep with the current 125 main or are you planning to increase it?

Interesting that you had problems too, which side is your carb on? mines on the kickstart side but I'm thinking of buying the one that comes out on the other side as I believe there is more panel clearance.

Re the main jet, it was reduced to a 125 on the dyno session but I upped it to 130 for the euro trip, sorry for the confusion :oops: I will probably increase the main and do some plug chops at WOT to see what's going on. I can't really see how the main would have affected piston wear though as apart from some steep gradients, I was seldom using more the 2/3rds throttle so the main wouldn't have been having any effect.

Re replacement pistons, I'm fairly certain that Rich T moved the ring pegs for use in the GT.

Hoping to get it looked at and the bore properly measured soon to see what's what 8-)
coaster

Postby Angelo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:52 pm

coaster wrote:
Angelo wrote:.................When you get the new piston, are you planning to keep with the current 125 main or are you planning to increase it?

Interesting that you had problems too, which side is your carb on? mines on the kickstart side but I'm thinking of buying the one that comes out on the other side as I believe there is more panel clearance.

Re the main jet, it was reduced to a 125 on the dyno session but I upped it to 130 for the euro trip

My carb is on the left.

I too upjetted mine back to the 135 that was originally fitted. I would rather it be on the slightly rich side that be lean. It never sat well with me jumping that much. I would rather trust the people who have experience with Gran Turismo products.
Angelo

Next

Return to Tuning & Kits