LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Thumb Choke

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Thumb Choke

Postby Bilko » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:03 pm

I'm in need of a thumb choke. Darrell Taylor is out of them at the moment.

I understand people have made them with a BSA thumb choke, but my fabrication skills are useless.

Could someone explain how they would fabricate these to fit the two bolt holes on the light switch and what cable to use?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bilko

Re: Thumb Choke

Postby coaster » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:59 pm

Jarv has one on his LiS but all you need is a small ally plate to screw it to and screw it to the throttle housing screws. Hacksaw, drill shouldn't take long. You will need to determine the route for the cable and where to drill the headset 8-) I used a Renhill one which I saw on ebay which uses a worm drive and a push bike cable kit to make up the cable which in my case needed a nipple on both ends, the type in your picture have a clamp at the lever end I think.
coaster

Postby Bilko » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks Colin,

What do you mean by Renhill?
Bilko

Postby Knowledge » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:02 pm

Typo. I think he meant Venhill. They are a supplier of levers, cables, nipples etc
Knowledge

Postby Bilko » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:41 am

Thank you
Bilko

Postby coaster » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:26 pm

Knowledge wrote:Typo. I think he meant Venhill. They are a supplier of levers, cables, nipples etc

I think I did Martin :oops:
coaster

Postby coaster » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:33 pm

This is the lever I used although I bought mine off Ebay for about £15. The action of the lever is rack and pinion and it can be configures for left or right cable entry. https://www.venhill.co.uk/controls-amp- ... 12159.html

One downside to DT's lever is that it only attaches by one bolt so tends to twist when you press the lever.
coaster

Postby Bilko » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks Colin, is there a particular cable I should use for that lever?
Bilko

Postby Lockman69 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:51 pm

I have a DT thumb choke on my Serveta, but with short thumbs I find this works better for me, and its easier when starting from cold as you don't have to hold it :)
(I have an 18L tank and no too box)
Lockman69

Postby coaster » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:31 pm

Bilko wrote:Thanks Colin, is there a particular cable I should use for that lever?

I bought a generic bicycle cable kit which came with various inners and outers which you cut to the required lengths. The kit also included the end ferules to fit to the cut ends. Each inner cable had a nipple on one end including large barrel, pear shaped and a small one probably intended for the bike gear selector. I used that one having threaded the outer in through a hole to the rear of the headset and down to the carb. The factory nipple fitted in the Venhill lever and I cut the other end to length and slightly splayed the carb end and used a blow lamp, flux and solder to put a blob of solder on the end. Then used the Dremel to trim it to fit in the choke plunger. The cable kit came from Asda and cost about £5 and has since came in handy fixing my push bike 8-)

I wish I had some photos of it but I neglected to take any at the time :cry:
coaster

Postby Bilko » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks Colin. Appreciate the assistance.
Bilko

Return to Tuning & Kits