LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

175 ally kits

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

175 ally kits

Postby neil64 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi
Anyone using any of the 175 alloy kits ' your thoughts on quality especially the ones supplied by R........speed and B......speed ' do they need fettling and what's the compression like '

Yer thoughts ?
neil64

Re: 175 ally kits

Postby davla » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:39 pm

I've just fitted a 200cc ali kit from AF Rayspeed, only just starting to run it in but so far so good and it runs really nicely. Compression is about 120lb
davla

Postby Roey99 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:05 pm

Just fitted a Scooter resto's kit to my Li 125 bottom end.
Had the ports, inlet and exhaust cleaned up and the 150 head re profiled to suit.
Used a quality Italian piston, probably wouldn't have fitted the kit without getting it professionally tidied up first.
I'm struggling with set up of the exhaust side of things, plus the gearing as been an issue.
( see my thread in the series 1,2,3 section )
On track to get it sorted, looking carefully at the exhaust options.

I prefer to use Scooter Resto's as they have always looked after me well plus the parts supplied are generally good.

jr
Roey99

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:32 pm

Going back a few years, I ran an SR175 and Sr 185. Both were okay. It was only after I sent the barrel to MB to have a “fast road tune” that the engine came alive though (ran it with a TM24 and an under k/start Fresco)

The steel liners are soft though.
Storkfoot

Postby davla » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:46 pm

Storkfoot wrote:Going back a few years, I ran an SR175 and Sr 185. Both were okay. It was only after I sent the barrel to MB to have a “fast road tune” that the engine came alive though (ran it with a TM24 and an under k/start Fresco)

The steel liners are soft though.

The AF kit comes stage 4 tuned and with all of the gaskets and a manifold for a 22mm Dellorto or Jetex and is ready to bolt straight on. I still checked it over though and spent some time fitting it properly.
davla

Postby Scooterdude » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:11 am

Don't be tempted to get one of the "eBay specials" they really are dire, I've got one here I'm stripping back off a scoot for someone nothing but trouble, a case of buy cheap buy twice.
Scooterdude

Postby Adam_Winstone » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:05 pm

"The steel liners are soft though."...

This has eventually been the factor that has seen a number of these being removed from bikes in my club, regardless of where they've been sourced from. That said, they served well for anywhere between 1,000 and 6,000 miles before wearing the exhaust port square and then breaking rings.

My advice for anyone fitting one of these would be to leave the exhaust width as narrow as possible as any additional widening speeds up the wear process to the port edge and eventual ring breakage. That said, one of these did do a number of Euro Lambretta rallies and other distance rallies, but I kid you not when I say what it wore the bore out at least 3 times, always starting with a well shaped / chamfered port, and always ending up with it square again (hard ring machining soft liner, made worse by dealer porting spec'). He also went nowhere without a spare piston, getting through lots of pistons over the years!

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby EddieStone » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:49 pm

Personally I'm not a fan of cheap ally kits, I'd rather get an iron barrel bored out.
EddieStone

Return to Tuning & Kits