LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

metal speedo drive

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

metal speedo drive

Postby rexton270s » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:32 am

hi,whats the verdict on the metal speedo gear and drive? pros+cons???
rexton270s

Re: metal speedo drive

Postby Digger » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:44 pm

It's the only one I'd purchase - nylon ones seem to strip the teeth in about 5 minutes.
Digger

Postby a-teamlambretta » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Don't like the thought of metal on metal, could jam up if something failed and chuck you over the handlebars, metal/nylon combo would be safer
a-teamlambretta

Postby rossclark » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:13 pm

If you're going to mix and match make the metal one the one on the hub and the small one the sacrificial nylon part.
rossclark

Postby Digger » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:59 pm

a-teamlambretta wrote:Don't like the thought of metal on metal, could jam up if something failed and chuck you over the handlebars, metal/nylon combo would be safer

That's about as likely as getting hit by an asteroid - something that small couldn't possibly survive the amount of torque required to lock the front wheel and toss the rider.
Digger

Postby a-teamlambretta » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:47 pm

Digger wrote:
a-teamlambretta wrote:Don't like the thought of metal on metal, could jam up if something failed and chuck you over the handlebars, metal/nylon combo would be safer

That's about as likely as getting hit by an asteroid - something that small couldn't possibly survive the amount of torque required to lock the front wheel and toss the rider.

proberbly like most things , it will never happen . was the origional ones nylon on the hub and brass on the bit that drive the cable ?? . just my thoughts and why take another risk ??
a-teamlambretta

Postby Jeff t » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:45 pm

I've an outboard disc and I can't the bloody thing to work, I've put a metal drive on the hub and used a plastic gear, go 2 mins down the road and it strips the nylon part. Any tips on setting up as it all seems to work when I spin the wheel.
I've got a metal one but not tried that as I had similar thoughts not so much throwing me off but metal bits everywhere if it fails.
Jeff t

Postby rexton270s » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:29 pm

i cannot see the metal parts locking the wheel up, not even at low speed plus i think the cable would spin first in the recess of the worm drive, i have packed it with grease, and alls well up to date! the cast worm and gear are only made of a cast metal,not steel !
rexton270s

Postby a-teamlambretta » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:10 pm

There are stainless ones out there, stay safe. If I'm correct in my theory, the original 60's parts were made from nylon and brass, one part being a sacrificial part for wear. So why deviate? You asked for the pros and cons. Just my opinions
a-teamlambretta

Postby gaz_powell » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:11 pm

/\/\/\/\ interesting. Ive never seen a stainless one - ive used the metal ones that were cast and are relatively soft.

My Spanish hub has done 1000s using a cheap nylon set, the GP with a ScootRS outboard disc was a pain - the only way I got any longevity was with metal on metal - but that took a bit of doing - interesting the mega expensive MB shredded very quickly and I`m currently on a cheap ebay metal/metal set up - that's done several 1000 miles

Gaz
gaz_powell

Return to Tuning & Kits