LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Mugello 186 base gaskets?

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Mugello 186 base gaskets?

Postby Scooterdude » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:28 pm

Just been tasked with fitting a Mugello 186 kit for a mate, a direct replacement bolt on kit the bumf says, comes with .2, .3 and .7 base gaskets so I find I need the .2 to get the required squish, put the gasket on the case one side of the gasket is hanging off one transfer completely and the other side is just holding by maybe about 1mm. Found a standard Lambretta base gasket fits well but is to thick at .75 so ring cam lam in the hope they can offer me an alternative gasket, 1st very unhelpful bloke on the phone eventually puts me through to a second and even more unhelpful bloke in the workshop, I explained what the problem was and he tells me I have the right gaskets included in the kit....so I explained again what was wrong and got much the same reply.
So my question is does anybody do a .2 base gasket that fits (and actually covers the transfers) of a Mugello 186 (latest version) that's going on an Italian LI case?
Scooterdude

Re: Mugello 186 base gaskets?

Postby Knowledge » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:33 pm

I don't if any one does such a gasket off the shelf, but if all else fails, you can buy gasket paper of all thicknesses off ebay and make your own.

If you do, lay your Li gasket over the sheet of gasket paper and spray over both with an aerosol paint. Wait of it to dry, peel off the Li gasket and cut out what remains from the gasket paper.

Good luck
Knowledge

Postby Phil D » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 pm

Scooterdude wrote:Just been tasked with fitting a Mugello 186 kit for a mate, a direct replacement bolt on kit the bumf says, comes with .2, .3 and .7 base gaskets so I find I need the .2 to get the required squish, put the gasket on the case one side of the gasket is hanging off one transfer completely and the other side is just holding by maybe about 1mm. Found a standard Lambretta base gasket fits well but is to thick at .75 so ring cam lam in the hope they can offer me an alternative gasket, 1st very unhelpful bloke on the phone eventually puts me through to a second and even more unhelpful bloke in the workshop, I explained what the problem was and he tells me I have the right gaskets included in the kit....so I explained again what was wrong and got much the same reply.
So my question is does anybody do a .2 base gasket that fits (and actually covers the transfers) of a Mugello 186 (latest version) that's going on an Italian LI case?

Ring back and enquire about a Targa Twin they'll be all over you.
Phil D

Postby HxPaul » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:34 pm

Scooterdude wrote:Just been tasked with fitting a Mugello 186 kit for a mate, a direct replacement bolt on kit the bumf says, comes with .2, .3 and .7 base gaskets so I find I need the .2 to get the required squish, put the gasket on the case one side of the gasket is hanging off one transfer completely and the other side is just holding by maybe about 1mm. Found a standard Lambretta base gasket fits well but is to thick at .75 so ring cam lam in the hope they can offer me an alternative gasket, 1st very unhelpful bloke on the phone eventually puts me through to a second and even more unhelpful bloke in the workshop, I explained what the problem was and he tells me I have the right gaskets included in the kit....so I explained again what was wrong and got much the same reply.

Try Chiggy Chambers (lambretta upgrades)He does .25mm thick gaskets,these are the thinnest ones I can find.
http://www.lambrettaupgrades.co.uk/apps ... ow/5192842
HxPaul

Postby Scooterdude » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:26 pm

HxPaul wrote:

Try Chiggy Chambers (lambretta upgrades)He does .25mm thick gaskets,these are the thinnest ones I can find.
http://www.lambrettaupgrades.co.uk/apps ... ow/5192842

Thanks Paul, I had a dig around but dident come up with anything, in the mean time I have found the base packers that came with the last RT kit I fitted, fitted the .50 one giving me a 1.70 squish, problem I've got now is because of the discrepancy between the case and cylinder I still can't stop the bugger leaking so am thinking we definitely need a proper gasket like you suggest above.
Scooterdude

Postby dickie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:03 pm

The one I bought from rich Taylor for my gt185 measured 0.3mm.

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be suitable for a mugello.
dickie

Postby Scooterdude » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Phil D wrote:

No. after my mate spending almost £500 with them then me being snubbed on the phone I certainly won't be going back there any time soon thank you very much.
Scooterdude

Postby vintage65scoot » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 pm

Hi plus 1 ive used lambretta upgrades 0.25 base gaskets on my Mugello kits very well fitting maybe use with a little three bond as they are very thin I did and haven't had a problem good luck
vintage65scoot

Postby Phil D » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:31 pm

Scooterdude wrote:
Phil D wrote:

No. after my mate spending almost £500 with them then me being snubbed on the phone I certainly won't be going back there any time soon thank you very much.[/quote

Me either only ever bought one thing it was faulty they tried to tell me id wired it up wrong,
Cost me to send it back, bought replacement ,fitted it to the same connections and hey presto it lit up ,
of cause made out it was my fault. :roll:
Phil D

Postby Scooterdude » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:07 pm

vintage65scoot wrote:Hi plus 1 ive used lambretta upgrades 0.25 base gaskets on my Mugello kits very well fitting maybe use with a little three bond as they are very thin I did and haven't had a problem good luck

Yes I'll ring him and order some up in the morning, while I'm at it I'll order some halite seals.
Thanks guys for your help, appreciate it .
Scooterdude

Postby Toddy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Can you get away without the base gasket and just use sealant?
Toddy

Postby dscscotty » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:57 pm

I'd be more inclined to focus on port timings than squish with cylinders, they can be a little inconsistent to say the least!
Last edited by dscscotty on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dscscotty

Postby Scooterdude » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:35 am

dscscotty wrote:I'd be more inclined to focus on port timings than squish with mugello cylinders, they can be a little inconsistent to say the least!
Would you care to elaborate?
Scooterdude

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:32 am

Beware all, of criticising dealers on here. It is against forum rules.

Cheers guys,

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Phil D » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:52 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:Beware all, of criticising dealers on here. It is against forum rules.

Cheers guys,

Rich'

Apologies for any offence caused .
I tried to delete the offending statements but was unable to.
Phil D

Postby dscscotty » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Apologies, wasn't meant as a criticism,
dscscotty

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:58 pm

It's ok guys, was just a heads up, no problem.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:05 am

dscscotty wrote:I'd be more inclined to focus on port timings than squish with mugello cylinders, they can be a little inconsistent to say the least!

Agreed. Base gaskets shims set the port timings. Head gasket shims set the squish. :o
Fast n Furious

Return to Tuning & Kits