LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Crank

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Re: Crank

Postby dscscotty » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:09 pm

So are these MEC cranks just a glorified std type crank, with a better Conrod & BIG end bearing?
or are they rated to perform ok to a certain BHP ??

Would they’ve fine used in the likes of a std Imola/monza/TS1 ???

The cranks are fine for standardish/Stage 4/ moderately tuned engines which are not used in to much anger, I use them in my production class RB engines, although change the rod and big end bearing.
dscscotty

Postby Feersum Injun » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:51 pm

dscscotty wrote:
So are these MEC cranks just a glorified std type crank, with a better Conrod & BIG end bearing?
or are they rated to perform ok to a certain BHP ??

Would they’ve fine used in the likes of a std Imola/monza/TS1 ???

The cranks are fine for standardish/Stage 4/ moderately tuned engines which are not used in to much anger, I use them in my production class RB engines, although change the rod and big end bearing.

This is my plan for a TS1 build. I have a MEC crank (black webs) and intend to replace the existing big end bearing and rod to Yamaha rod and silver cage bearing and get the pins tig welded. Just need to find someone to do the work for me...
Feersum Injun

Postby superhooper » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi for your info -Been running a maz 22.9mm crank in my ts1 for about 15 years. Never changed the big end bearing, still going strong, although it's not a high revving set up.

Regards Super
superhooper

Postby gaz_powell » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:32 pm

gaz_powell wrote:Interesting chat as always, keeping the discussion going I have just had to replace the crank after big end failure in my TS1, which has given many years and fast motorway miles service , it was a Mazzachelli with 22.9mm pin and no shims - I certainly have no complaints, however I wouldn't go that route again, the replacement is SIL webs with RB Rod kit.

The Mazz crank has been rebuilt with a new stepped pin, a 15 roller NRB Big end bearing (from AF) and an older style Mazz race rod - built for a rainy day in something else , AF were confident that this would be okay in a TS1 but did stipulate not in an RB .

Gaz

Rebuild crank was TIG welded on the pin as it was a tad loose in the webs - thanks to a great crank builder!!
gaz_powell

Postby corrado » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:45 pm

dscscotty wrote:The cranks are fine for standardish/Stage 4/ moderately tuned engines which are not used in to much anger, I use them in my production class RB engines, although change the rod and big end bearing.

Which rod and bearing do you use Scotty?
corrado

Postby Norrie Bodge » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:08 pm

corrado wrote:
dscscotty wrote:The cranks are fine for standardish/Stage 4/ moderately tuned engines which are not used in to much anger, I use them in my production class RB engines, although change the rod and big end bearing.

@ Scotty
Are these BIG ENDS compatible to use with these Mec/Tameni cranks ?

http://www.afrayspeed.co.uk/index.php?p ... tributeID=
Norrie Bodge

Postby dscscotty » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:47 pm

Depends on application, e.g TS1,RB's etc or if port timings require attention, or spec of engine/usage, piston used, compression height of piston, small end size etc, etc

@ Scotty Are these BIG ENDS compatible to use with these Mec/Tameni cranks

Depends on whether crank pin is 22mm, most Mec /Tam cranks are but some aren't also you need to factor in con-rod width.it is also assumed that using a 110 rod requires a 3mm packer this is not always the case,
Welcome to the minefield of Lambretta crankshafts!
dscscotty

Postby Norrie Bodge » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:09 pm

Cheers Daz
will pop throu & see you in the new year m8 to get your best advise on this

Thanks
Norrie Bodge

Previous

Return to Tuning & Kits