LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Where Do I Start?

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Where Do I Start?

Postby Cosmic Wizard » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:43 am

Hi everyone & Happy New Year :D

I require some help and advice regarding parts that may, or may not be required when building a spunky engine.
I have built/rebuilt a few standard engines, but I've never tackled a big-power unit.

I am looking at either the Mugello 198 Reed kit, or the Casa SS200. (I really want the Casa) 8-)

I know I'll require a big carb and exhaust. How does a Dellorto PHBH 30 and a JL3 or PM Tuning pipe sound?

The main help I need is regarding internal parts. I'll be looking at a GP crank, but would a standard GP unit be up to the job?
Will I require a different/heavy duty clutch?

I know that ultimately it depends on how it's ridden, but if some standard parts are up to the job, it would save a couple of quid. Basically, I want to put the pound notes in the right places ;)

Finally, my chaincase cover has alot of pitting caused by corrosion. I can skim this over and paint it, but I was looking at replacing it. Would I be able to fit a GP case cover and fit the LI kickstart ramp? Will it work with the LI clutch?

Any help and advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,
Jim :)
Cosmic Wizard

Re: Where Do I Start?

Postby dickie » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:54 pm

You'll need a better crank but save money and get a jap rod and decent big end fitted to your current crank.

Clutch wise a reedspeed 5 plate should do.

Decent bearings.

Personally I would buy a kit that comes with a reed as standard rather than fitting one to a piston ported kit. What about Imola or gt186?
Last edited by dickie on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dickie

Postby coaster » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:06 pm

I take it you are basing this on an Li internals? if so you will need a GP crank, flywheel and stator but a 4 plate clutch should be sufficient for the power if set up correctly although as suggested, the Readspeed 5 plate is a cheap alternative but I'd just put a set of MB springs in there with a new set of standard plates and see how you get on.
You didn't mention what gearing you have? you might need a front sprocket change and maybe a different length chain depending on various factors.

Re the chain case, you can change to a GP one but you will need to change the clutch bell to a GP type as well as the clutch spindle and operating cam and plunger. The kickstart shaft might also need changing if you current side case has never been machined for the later shaft.
coaster

Postby Raveydavey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:00 pm

+ 1 on the reedspeed clutch. And on going a tooth bigger on the front sprocket (if going with the Casa and sticking with the LI gears). You'll probably need a new chain too + Chain tensioner: MB or Casa are good ones.

30 mil dellorto should work. Would probably get away with smaller on a 200. Should be coupled with a decent pipe: Franspeed seem popular and fairly well priced.

Do not compromise on the crank though. Its the heart of the engine. If you want to upgrade a basic GP get it done by an expert. Or just buy the best you can afford.
Upgrade all your bearings, at least the mag and main for sure. Ideally the end plate too.

I'd also say stick a Varitronic or Casatronic ignition on it. I'll probably start a war for saying that but they are pretty bomb proof and p*ss easy to fit and set up. If you want to get serious then your into dyno time.
Raveydavey

Postby Scooterlam » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:41 pm

If your going with the ss kit have a look at the pipe they recommend think it's jolly moto.
Pm Mr G from NYC for his set up ss225, we had to ride from Newark to Manhattan 2 up with 2 sets of luggage and I was amazed how well it behaved in rush hour traffic for a race kit
I m pretty sure they recommend a 5 speed box not sure if that what he had as I was pillion.
Scooterlam

Postby Cosmic Wizard » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:54 pm

Many thanks for all your replies, they are exactly what I'm after.

@ dickie
I will look into the rod and bearing change. Do you know what rod can be used?
I will check that clutch out. Thanks :)

@ coaster
Sorry, yes, it will be based on LI internals and I forgot to mention the gearset. I have the later "Pacemaker" gearset. Not sure about the number of teeth on the front and rear sprockets. I'll have to dig them out.

Regarding the side cover. I seem to recall reading somewhere that I'd have to change to the GP kick shaft.

@ Raveydavey
Thanks for the reply. I will have a look at the Franspeed pipe. I have seen some 198s and 200s with a 28mm carb, but also seen others with a 30. I know in the carb world, bigger isn't always better. I suppose the exhaust pipe will play a big part in carb choice.

I have looked at both of those ignition systems. At the moment, I have a middle-of-the-road basic 12v electronic setup. I suspect having a variable system would get the best out of the kit. I would like to know how many people have stuck with a standard-type 12v electronic though.

@ Scooterlam
Thanks, I will have a look at that pipe too.
Being well behaved is good to know. I am conscious with the fact that tuned engines can get grumpy if you're just poodling about.
I've seen the 5-speed 'box.... mmmm 8-) That maybe better to have if you do alot of touring, but then again, I could be wrong.

Thanks again for your time. I will update once I've sorted the parts list. The case and mag housing have already been vapour blasted, so once I get the bits it can start going together :D

Cheers
Jim
Cosmic Wizard

Return to Tuning & Kits