LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

BGM Clubman

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

BGM Clubman

Postby PSC GP200 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:19 pm

Is anyone using a BGM Clubman on a Rapido Race 225. I'm doing more two up riding this year and wondered if it is a good choice? It will be a V3. Thanks
PSC GP200

Re: BGM Clubman

Postby bike grim » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:36 am

Yes. V3 on a 225 Rapido Race with MB shorty reed, 28phbh with breathe sweet. Indian gp200 gearbox with 19/47 sprockets and varitronic. Rides nice and torquey. Good for 70mph flat out.
bike grim

Postby Watfordwhite » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:57 pm

Similar set up on mine to Bike Grim. Its away at the moment being looked at and made better. (It wasn't well) Hope to have it back shortly and tell you its an excellent touring ride.
Watfordwhite

Postby Stevepshipley » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:25 pm

I ran a BGM on a rapido 225 classic tune. excellent tourqey tourer 2 up
Stevepshipley

Postby DaveTomo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:38 pm

I run a Rapido 225 with V3 of the BGM pipe, delly 30 & a breathe sweet filter LI150 box 47X16 and a scootronics stator set at 17BTDC. A good touring motor, very torquey even fully loaded with tent, sleeping bag on the back and panniers.I have also run the 48mm AF clubman which (again) is also good,but the BGM lets it rev on a little more
DaveTomo

Postby PSC GP200 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks for the replies so far. Did I hear that these pipes are prone to the baffles coming lose?
PSC GP200

Postby Solid Air » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:35 am

V2 & V3, through personal experience were, but the V4 seems good so far. The V4 is made by a different manufacturer to earlier versions.

Mark
Solid Air

Postby bike grim » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:54 pm

It could be my ears but I’ve got V3 on one scooter and V4 on a new motor I’ve just tried and the V4 seems quieter as well
bike grim

Postby Solid Air » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:24 pm

bike grim wrote:It could be my ears but I’ve got V3 on one scooter and V4 on a new motor I’ve just tried and the V4 seems quieter as well

I'd agree with you, a work colleague commented only recently on that when he went past me in his car on the motorway, definitely quieter and a deeper sound too.
Solid Air

Postby peejay » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:07 am

i must just be unlucky with my exhausts, my V1 on an RT225 was deafening, most dissappointing as i believed all the BGM hype about it being near to standard noise, no way!

tried the V3 slightly quieter and deeper note but still deafening, i give up with BGM exhausts :(
peejay

Postby Rich Oswald » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:52 am

peejay wrote:i must just be unlucky with my exhausts, my V1 on an RT225 was deafening, most dissappointing as i believed all the BGM hype about it being near to standard noise, no way!

tried the V3 slightly quieter and deeper note but still deafening, i give up with BGM exhausts :(

Hi Peejay,

I have a V1 (one of the very first batch from MB) on my S Type and it is very quiet. I also have a V3 on my J230 and that is much, much p
louder.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby peejay » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:28 pm

it just seems that there is no consistancy with these exhausts.

to be honest at the age of 69 i just can't be assed to be riding a lammie with a deafening noise with everyone looking round to see what the hell is making all the racket :(
peejay

Postby Adam_Winstone » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:11 pm

To be fair to the BGM pipes, exhaust port size has a big influence on the exhaust noise and the RT kits do have a pretty big exhaust port. If you were to put the same exhaust on a kit with smaller exhaust port then the noise would be very different.

Unfortunately, clubmans can only go so far on tuned kits before you start to get loud with the options being a change to an expansion, with muffler, or to a more restrictive pipe and accepting the inevitable loss of some performance.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby peejay » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:05 am

Adam_Winstone wrote:To be fair to the BGM pipes, exhaust port size has a big influence on the exhaust noise and the RT kits do have a pretty big exhaust port. If you were to put the same exhaust on a kit with smaller exhaust port then the noise would be very different.

Unfortunately, clubmans can only go so far on tuned kits before you start to get loud with the options being a change to an expansion, with muffler, or to a more restrictive pipe and accepting the inevitable loss of some performance.

Adam

thanks for that Adam
when i bought the BGM bigbore for my standard RT 225 i just assumed that they would be compatible being as the two companies have a close working relationship.
the excessive noise just spoils my riding pleasure :(
peejay

Postby PSC GP200 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:16 pm

I've had a couple of trips now with the V3 BGM Clubman and it goes really well. Great mid-range and not a noisy as I feared; very acceptable, in fact. No complaints, so far.
Also, I have now taken the air hose with Ramair filter off from under the panels and now run with a filter direct on the mouth of the carb exiting through a hole in the side panel. Whether it is changing the pipe or the filter arrangement or a combination of the two, but the engine is running about 20 degrees cooler than it was with the Fresco I had on before. An added bonus. :)
PSC GP200

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:44 pm

peejay wrote:
Adam_Winstone wrote:To be fair to the BGM pipes, exhaust port size has a big influence on the exhaust noise and the RT kits do have a pretty big exhaust port. If you were to put the same exhaust on a kit with smaller exhaust port then the noise would be very different.

Adam

thanks for that Adam
when i bought the BGM bigbore for my standard RT 225 i just assumed that they would be compatible being as the two companies have a close working relationship.
the excessive noise just spoils my riding pleasure :(

I'm using an RT225 kit with a Sito Ancillotti exhaust. A bit of a crack to it when you rev it, but in use I find it very good for noise.
ToBoldlyGo

Return to Tuning & Kits