LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

AF road clutch problem

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

AF road clutch problem

Postby Wack » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:31 pm

Fitted a motor for a mate today and once all connected up I found the clutch won't disengage. Upon a strip down I found the AF cassette clutch centre plate tilts when screwing in the compressor making the plates free on one side of the crown wheel but not on the other. The more I screwed the compressor in, there would be a loud crack noise and then the plates would free off. I stripped it all down but can't find anything wrong, no burrs and plates sliding freely in the crown wheel. It's almost as if the springs are becoming coilbound? Any advice please
Last edited by Wack on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wack

Re: AF road clutc problem

Postby Scooterlam » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:27 pm

Heard this a while ago might help.

Take the stack of plates and steels out and rotate one slot round 're assemble and try again.
Scooterlam

Re: AF road clutc problem

Postby Wack » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:03 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow.
Wack

Re: AF road clutch problem

Postby corrado » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:52 pm

I think it's worth spending an hour with a needle file on the crownwheel, plates and steels. Yes I know you shouldn't have to do that on a £225 piece of kit but it's Indian so the QC isn't up to the Italian Surflex version at roughly twice the price. They bed in anyway with use, but I wouldn't advise forcing the plates and steels into place, somethings going to break or twist doing that.
corrado

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:10 pm

Makes sense... Add to to do list...
Andy B.L.C.

Postby coaster » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:19 pm

I ve 2 AF road clutches, the first one I bought 2nd hand off someone on FB and is a 46 toothed and I had to convert to Li nipple operation. The feel was very light but it snatched on pull away which was very annoying but I sort of got used to it. Rode down to Adria and whilst there I checked the gearbox oil which was a little low but not by much so topped it up and the snatchiness had vanished :?

I just bought another one new from AF and contemplated stripping and fettling but the cassette seemed to slide in smoothly so I took a chance and it is absolutely fine, as smooth as silk. This one is a 47 tooth GP operation though so I wonder if that might have some bearing on the issue?
coaster

Return to Tuning & Kits