LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Ts1, avanti head and bgm clubman

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Ts1, avanti head and bgm clubman

Postby dickie » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Has anyone ever tried a bgm clubman with an avanti head on a ts1?

I just tried mine and there's no way it's going to fit unless I reduce the cylinder cowling to little more than lip service.

It's destined to have an avanti ex box when they're available but I wanted to get it run in with what I have lying around.
dickie

Re: Ts1, avanti head and bgm clubman

Postby coaster » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:22 pm

Not much help but I ran with an Avanti head on my TS1 with a JL3 and a Franspeed Supertourer and didn't have any clearance issues.
coaster

Postby dickie » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:45 pm

coaster wrote:Not much help but I ran with an Avanti head on my TS1 with a JL3 and a Franspeed Supertourer and didn't have any clearance issues.

Yes, originally it had a curly jl3 which fitted fine but that ended up on something else.
dickie

Postby Blaginit » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Cut 0pposite exhaust fins down until exhaust fits done it myself I went about half way cooling no worries
Blaginit

Postby coaster » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:02 pm

Forgot to mention, its a good idea to remove the metal between the fins on the flywheel side to aid airflow. Don't need to worry about the opposite side as there is a window in the cowl so the air plows straight out anyway.
coaster

Postby dickie » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:53 pm

coaster wrote:Forgot to mention, its a good idea to remove the metal between the fins on the flywheel side to aid airflow. Don't need to worry about the opposite side as there is a window in the cowl so the air plows straight out anyway.

Bugger. I did mean to do that but I forgot and it's in the frame now. Oh well, I've been building it for nearly 3 years; another delay isn't going to hurt, is it?
dickie

Postby coaster » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:00 am

dickie wrote:Bugger. I did mean to do that but I forgot and it's in the frame now. Oh well, I've been building it for nearly 3 years; another delay isn't going to hurt, is it?

I know the feeling :? I believe Ron had some heads cast with cutting out between the fins in mind so that there was only a thin section left to remove. If you have one of those you will probably be able to get away with a dremel. Mine did not have that reduction so I resorted to using an angle grinder :o Sounds a bit brutal (it was) but got the job done ;)
coaster

Postby dickie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:52 pm

coaster wrote:
I know the feeling :? I believe Ron had some heads cast with cutting out between the fins in mind so that there was only a thin section left to remove. If you have one of those you will probably be able to get away with a dremel. Mine did not have that reduction so I resorted to using an angle grinder :o Sounds a bit brutal (it was) but got the job done ;)

I can probably do it in situ as the cowl comes off ok. As long as there are plenty of blankets to protect the paint it should be fine.
dickie

Postby Scooterlam » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Drill first will save some grief
Scooterlam

Postby dickie » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:09 pm

Took off the cowling and cut between every pair of fins except the top (plug side of head) with a cutting disc. No need to drill. I made the cuts at the bottom (exhaust side) deeper to promote air flow at the hottest part of the head.

Easy 10 minute job but one of those ones where you keep thinking you're only 5 minutes from calling an ambulance.
dickie

Return to Tuning & Kits