LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Bare metal mystery....

Need specific detail for a particular model, or just found something strange and interesting and want to know if its original. All attention to detail seekers report here!
Strict no chatter

Bare metal mystery....

Postby clyde » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:19 pm

Just taken delivery of my new project 1964 LiS 150.
Having started the inspection and tear down I've come across a strange thing.
The scooters been resprayed red at some stage, typical Italian style so painted fully assembled rubbers and everything.c
Now on closer inspection it was bare metal before this paint....the frame still is bare metal as are all the areas like under the bridge piece etc and the wheel hubs.
I'm not talking about shot blasted bare steel, it's factory fresh smooth metal, you can always tell if it's been blasted as it gets a grained texture. It's got no primer or undercoat etc.
I'm wondering if anyone's ever heard of scooters being built up in bare metal.
I've got all the original Italian documents and it's a one owner scooter first registered in Carpi in the province of Modena.
Any experts in this kind of stuff.....don't want to pull it apart for resto if its something of historic significance
Cheers
clyde

Re: Bare metal mystery....

Postby Digger » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:07 pm

Bare metal?

Anything made of steel half a century ago will surely be covered in a layer of rust, the thickness of which will depend on where it's been stored.
Digger

Re: Bare metal mystery....

Postby clyde » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:08 am

Yes you read it right.... Bare metal.
The bike was one owner, and that guy was quite elderly according to the paperwork so only done a easy 40000 kilometers and still on all its original parts including tyres.
It's been painted red at some time in typical fashion of not stripping it down prior to painting. The red paints got no under coat or primer and no signs of being blasted or stripped.... All the metal is shiny smooth like factory steel. Cant add photos very easily to this page but the frame loop, under the bridge piece and under the rear foot boards are all bare.
Had a mate come around to have a look who's had loads of scooters ands still got a decent collection and he said he's never seen anything like it.
clyde

Return to Anorak's Corner