LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Spanish series 2 light switch

Need specific detail for a particular model, or just found something strange and interesting and want to know if its original. All attention to detail seekers report here!
Strict no chatter

Spanish series 2 light switch

Postby Scootie32 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:15 pm

I have a 1962 Spanish Li150. My problem is I have bought an outboard disc brake kit, complete with Series 2 Li master cylinder. Now I notice my scoot has what looks like a series 3 light switch but my new master cylinder has what I can only assume is the Italian Series 2 light switch housing. I suppose the Spanish version is a bit of an odd ball. My question is will a Series 3 master cylinder kit fit my Spanish series 2 to allow me to keep my light switch or do I need to change my switch to an Italian one?
Cheers Andy.
Scootie32

Re: Spanish series 2 light switch

Postby bookertmgs1 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:30 pm

If I think I've read your question right - No I'm afraid it wont. The diameter of the housing is S2 - but with a hole for S3 switch.

The thing i'd highlight really is that the swap from an old style switch to a S3 one was in 1963 as far as I knew - which makes your 1962 date strange.

After 1963 the model moved over to the Winter variant (1964/65) and retained the S3 switch.
bookertmgs1

Postby Scootie32 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:37 pm

Thanks for the info. I just checked my paperwork and that says date of registration January 1961! Mind you I suppose when it was imported the person could have got the year wrong. So my only option is to fit a new light switch?
Thanks again.
Scootie32

Postby soullad » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:59 pm

Buzz makes the later S2 Spanish housing to take the typically s3 trapezoidal shaped light switch
He didn’t make lots of them as it’s rather a niche market ( mainly for the winter model owners) but he could well have some left.
What’s the first 4 digits of the frame number of the scooter btw, that should allow the date to be verified, just in case you have any doubts
soullad

Postby Scootie32 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:37 pm

First 4 digits are 0350 same with the engine. Cheers
Scootie32

Postby missing lynx » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:32 pm

My Spanish S2 has a Rectangular switch the same as an Italian S2
missing lynx

Postby soullad » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:03 pm

missing lynx wrote:My Spanish S2 has a Rectangular switch the same as an Italian S2

Correct, they were originally produced with the housing to take the rectangular switch, but later changed the housing design to accept the s3 shaped light switch. This change of housing was initially thought to combine with the transition to the production of the winter model but it’s now clear that this housing change occurred before the winter model was launched. Be very vary of trying to date your Eibar scooter based upon component parts on your scooter. Remember that these machines have changed hands for over 60 years and replacement parts are probably more common than you think. That’s why I asked about the frame number - this is the best way to effectively place a scooter on the production line in a given year. Excluding the TV, It could be argued that the Eibar S2 evolved through 4 different variants, based upon differing component parts / frame & engine numbers etc ending up with the winter model which first saw the light in approx early 1964
From memory I believe an 0350 ** frame and engine number is approx early 1963. Early frame and engine numbers didn’t match anyway. So based on that information I would suggest your light switch housing is contemporary with the year of production of your scooter - so enjoy it’s uniqueness and post a pic up when you get 5 mins.
Hope that helps.
soullad

Postby missing lynx » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:02 pm

soullad wrote:
missing lynx wrote:My Spanish S2 has a Rectangular switch the same as an Italian S2

Correct, they were originally produced with the housing to take the rectangular switch, but later changed the housing design to accept the s3 shaped light switch. This change of housing was initially thought to combine with the transition to the production of the winter model but it’s now clear that this housing change occurred before the winter model was launched. Be very vary of trying to date your Eibar scooter based upon component parts on your scooter. Remember that these machines have changed hands for over 60 years and replacement parts are probably more common than you think. That’s why I asked about the frame number - this is the best way to effectively place a scooter on the production line in a given year. Excluding the TV, It could be argued that the Eibar S2 evolved through 4 different variants, based upon differing component parts / frame & engine numbers etc ending up with the winter model which first saw the light in approx early 1964
From memory I believe an 0350 ** frame and engine number is approx early 1963. Early frame and engine numbers didn’t match anyway. So based on that information I would suggest your light switch housing is contemporary with the year of production of your scooter - so enjoy it’s uniqueness and post a pic up when you get 5 mins.
Hope that helps.

I know that, the Spanish seem to have a very fluid transition of parts and model spec and there seemed to be a fit whatever is at hand attitude lol
missing lynx

Postby Scootie32 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:35 pm

Thanks for all the info, that’s what I like about the forum always a mine of information. Every day is a school day!
Cheers Andy
Scootie32

Return to Anorak's Corner