LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Sometimes we forget the simple things

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Sometimes we forget the simple things

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:53 am

Properly functioning Surflex 5 plate clutch on TS1 but changed gear housing and lever as old pivot hole was way over 8mm

Clutch then starts dragging badly. I then wasted a couple of hours before I remembered that sometimes just taking a dremel to the lever works

Just thought I’d share this as it has helped me sort clutches out in the past.
Storkfoot

Re: Sometimes we forget the simple things

Postby Adam_Winstone » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:41 pm

Good point. Can also be the result of fitting balloon grips or poorly shaped levers, including some of the dog-leg levers on the market, which hit the grip very quickly.
Adam_Winstone

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:03 pm

There are two other ways of obtaining more movement in the depression of the clutch that many people overlook:

If the crankcase cover lever is lifted from it's splines & rotated ACW (toward the rear) to a more acute angle, then more angular rotation is obtained. This may contradict what manuals may advise for the lever positioning, but it works. (Think of a piston near TDC & how many degrees are rotated for very little linear movement & you might get why it works)

Similarly, if the crankcase cover lever is cut & welded shorter, more angular movement will be obtained. This was an absolute must when nine plate clutches were utilised.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:21 pm

I had to open up the casing on my TS1 today to change the gearing. It occurred to me to also check the clutch lever mechanism as, in my experience, on clutches with hard springs there’s a lot from force on the lever and plunger.

It might be hard to see in this photograph but the bottom ones are what I took out. In comparison with the new ones above, there is a significant amount of wear.

Just thought I’d mention this anyway as it all helps in having a good, smooth, operational clutch.
Storkfoot

Postby Hat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:31 pm

Good call. Wear items should be checked regularly
Hat

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:52 pm

Add a decent quality nylon lined clutch cable and make sure the clutch lever pivot pin, pivot hole and housing holes are not worn and the difference will be significant.
Fast n Furious

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3