LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Electrex

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Electrex

Postby rossclark » Sun May 12, 2019 11:19 pm

Had the GP out for the first time since changing the engine.

This motor has an Electrex ignition setup. It's supposed to be an AC setup with the small BGM type regulator.

I've wired it as per a 'normal' DC ignition with two yellows to a Podtronics / Wassell type rectifier. Everything checked out DC lights horn etc. Today though it blew the headlight bulb straight off as soon as I switched it on with the motor running at tick over. The bulb didn't seem any brighter than normal before it popped. Tail light, sidelight and rear light are OK.

Across the battery it has 13.6V at tick over and with a good rev that goes up to about 14.4V which is kind of what I'd expect.

Any thoughts on what to check?

Also has anyone had any success with getting a SIP speedo to work on this set up?
rossclark

Re: Electrex

Postby HxPaul » Mon May 13, 2019 8:04 am

It may have been a duf headlight bulb.
HxPaul

Postby foremanbob » Mon May 13, 2019 11:22 am

rossclark wrote:Had the GP out for the first time since changing the engine.

This motor has an Electrex ignition setup. It's supposed to be an AC setup with the small BGM type regulator.

I've wired it as per a 'normal' DC ignition with two yellows to a Podtronics / Wassell type rectifier. Everything checked out DC lights horn etc. Today though it blew the headlight bulb straight off as soon as I switched it on with the motor running at tick over. The bulb didn't seem any brighter than normal before it popped. Tail light, sidelight and rear light are OK.

Across the battery it has 13.6V at tick over and with a good rev that goes up to about 14.4V which is kind of what I'd expect.

Any thoughts on what to check?

Also has anyone had any success with getting a SIP speedo to work on this set up?

Sounds like you had a floating earth. Check that you have continuity of earth between the regulator and the headlight bulb
foremanbob

Postby rossclark » Fri May 17, 2019 12:20 am

Sorry for the delay in responding, been away this week, and thanks.

I'll have a dig at it this weekend.
rossclark

Postby rossclark » Fri May 17, 2019 12:22 am

HxPaul wrote:It may have been a duf headlight bulb.

Hoping so, have just got back to find a couple of replacements arrived in the post.
rossclark

Postby rossclark » Mon May 20, 2019 7:37 pm

Got round to looking at it tonight - complete schoolboy error - 6V bulb :oops:

Obviously it was nice and bright on the battery but not enough to blow it but once running it just popped it.

Back to the other question - Making the SIP speedo / rev counter work with this set up?

I think I asked this before and someone mentioned an octocoupler?? How do these work - where to get one?
rossclark

Postby coaster » Mon May 20, 2019 8:06 pm

Is your Electrex the 3 phase or single phase type?
coaster

Postby rossclark » Mon May 20, 2019 9:22 pm

It has two yellow wires, the original regulator that was supplied was similar to the small BGM type so I presume single phase - came from Brolam
rossclark

Postby rossclark » Mon May 20, 2019 9:57 pm

Should also say it seems to be charging my battery / running stuff using a single phase Wassel rectifier.

I had connected the brown sensor wire from the SIP box across one of the yellows before the Wassell, as some others have done with other DC setups, but that seems to have popped something in the control box. I've got a spare to try but would like to try to understand how to get a signal for the revcounter and what the limits are on that as replacement control boxes ain't cheap.
rossclark

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3