LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Latest Tyre Choices

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Latest Tyre Choices

Postby rossclark » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:56 pm

Open to a bit of debate - tyres are like oil everyone has their favourites but let's hear your experiences.

Time for some new tyres on the Lince, I've had SIP Performers on (made by Vee Rubber I believe) which I can't say I've been wholly impressed with.

I have ScootSmarts on the GP which I quite like but not put a lot of miles on them yet.

I'm thinking of something with a bit more 'tread' on like the Michelin City Grip or the Vee Rubber VRM351 or Manhattan. Anyone tried any of these?

Other options?
rossclark

Re: Latest Tyre Choices

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:24 am

Sorry that I cannot answer your question precisely, but a mate & I were discussing tyres. He has excellent Dunlop TT90's on, which are probably not the best all-rounder you might want, but he is looking to replace them, whilst I cannot wait for my Michelin S1's to wear out......

The brand we would both consider is Duro. Based upon racing experiences (with DM1107's), we would seriously consider their other tyres, especially if any reviews could be researched. That said, Racing Planet stock them, so I would doubt they would sell anything that they would not condone.

I hope that helps, in a very roundabout way :roll:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:03 am

I absolutely love and feel very confident riding on my Michelin City Grips.
The time to replace my S1's couldn't come soon enough. I always felt that they twitched a lot on white lines.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby MickYork » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:42 am

Ridicule me if you will but i still use the Schwalbe Weatherman :o 100/90 on rear and 3.50 x 10 on the front. Good mileage and stick like sh*t in the wet. No bulges or de-lamination either.
MickYork

Postby NorthernJordan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:48 am

Hi mate,

City grips are my tyre of choice having tried most of the current crop. A good balance between handling, wet weather performance and wear rate. For a more traditional looking tyre they are nicely profiled so are really nice in the corners. Scootsmart are great but tyre life was fairly poor.

Jordan.
NorthernJordan

Postby Rich Oswald » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:47 am

MC20's for me on 3 scoots but I like the look of the Vee Rubber ones which Martin Corrado at Justlambretta sells.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:04 pm

Swalbe sportsman’s and can’t fault them over the last 5 yrs of using them, over 3000 miles on the rear with loads of side grip.
ULC Soulagent

Postby Meds » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:08 pm

Mc20 but tyre life isn’t great
Meds

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:39 pm

rossclark wrote:Open to a bit of debate - tyres are like oil everyone has their favourites but let's hear your experiences.

Time for some new tyres on the Lince, I've had SIP Performers on (made by Vee Rubber I believe) which I can't say I've been wholly impressed with.

I have ScootSmarts on the GP which I quite like but not put a lot of miles on them yet.

I'm thinking of something with a bit more 'tread' on like the Michelin City Grip or the Vee Rubber VRM351 or Manhattan. Anyone tried any of these?

Other options?

Funnily enough I'm using all three. SIP Performers are okay, but feel twitchy compared to some other brands.

Scootsmarts really give me confidence. But you might struggle to get much over 1500 miles out of them.

The V Rubber 351 was a real surprise to me. They are an all weather tyre with a big, blocky tread and I probably wouldn't have expected great things of them. But, they are a lot better than you might think and handle well. Although, I can't vouch for their performance in bad weather yet.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby rossclark » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:03 pm

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

The feed back on the SIP performers is exactly what I've found - the seem to seek out every groove or rut in the road and I only got about 1500 out of the rear too.
rossclark

Postby shane BBoys » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:30 pm

MickYork wrote:Ridicule me if you will but i still use the Schwalbe Weatherman :o 100/90 on rear and 3.50 x 10 on the front. Good mileage and stick like sh*t in the wet. No bulges or de-lamination either.

Touch wood me too V high pressure as suggested on their website.
Cheers Shane
shane BBoys

Postby Ranburetta » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:28 pm

MickYork wrote:Ridicule me if you will but i still use the Schwalbe Weatherman :o 100/90 on rear and 3.50 x 10 on the front. Good mileage and stick like sh*t in the wet. No bulges or de-lamination either.

I had one that was oval - it was like riding a rocking horse!
Ranburetta

Postby burnside » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:20 pm

I'm on my 2nd set of City Grip Winters on my all year round hack, decent grips in all weathers and decent wear rate on the rear, think I got almost 3k.

On my summer hack I'm trying out the Anlas Tournees, been really pleased with these so far, excellent grip in the dry and decent enough in the wet on the rare occasion I have been caught out. Not been on long enough to judge how many miles on the rear but think it'll be around the 1.5k to 2k mark as they are a softer compound.
burnside

Postby Ranburetta » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:10 pm

I am currently looking to replace the last of my Conti 365's with which I have been very impressed.

The chunky block tread was counter-intuative but I could not fault them in the wet or dry, even in the heat of Gieselwind in 2016, albeit wear rate may have been too high for some.

What experience do you have of the Anlas SC500 (on tubeless rims)?
Ranburetta

Postby coaster » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:34 pm

I have had Schwalbe Weathermans and Racemans and not personally had any issues BUT I was less than impressed with the way that they handled the issue of blistering and de-lamination and the suggestion about increasing tire pressure seemed to me like a 'work around' solution tbh. I had an MC20 which I thought was too flimsy in the side wall so used on the front and was ok but that developed bumps in the tread possible due to pot holes apparently :?

So, I took the decision a few years back to only use tyres from well known manufacturers. I have been through a couple of Conti Twist Sports and 3 Dunlop ScootSmarts. The tread ware isnt great at around 2k miles for a rear but I don't mind that tbh. The other factor for me is the load rating which I think is more important than the speed rating. I always use Hi Load 59 rating on the rear, 3 ply sidewalls, a bit harder to fit to tubeless rims but don't deform instantly in the event of a puncture.
coaster

Postby Tractorman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:14 am

I bought a couple of Vee Rubber VRM396 from M&P because they were cheap and I don't mind a bit of slide with the sidecar. But I took the sidecar off for Seahouses rally and forgot about the tyres but they gripped very well in the rain on the way back so I will use them again!
Tractorman

Postby Leotech » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:13 am

I love those Sava MC20 but they do like to wear out very fast.

I am currently using Continental Twist on my main riding Lamby and like them too, seem to last a bit longer than the MC20.
Leotech

Postby GRTDKAD » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:03 pm

Does anyone have any experience / feedback on either the Heidinau K80SR or the BGM35010SL tyres. Both are ‘S’ rated - so tested to 111mph

I currently run Dunlop ScootSmart (93mph) on my GP TS1 230. I’ve not had any issues with the Dunlops just more interested in building in a performance margin above my top speed.
Any thoughts and recommendations welcomed, thanks.
GRTDKAD

Postby ULC Soulagent » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:15 pm

GRTDKAD wrote:Does anyone have any experience / feedback on either the Heidinau K80SR or the BGM35010SL tyres. Both are ‘S’ rated - so tested to 111mph

I currently run Dunlop ScootSmart (93mph) on my GP TS1 230. I’ve not had any issues with the Dunlops just more interested in building in a performance margin above my top speed.
Any thoughts and recommendations welcomed, thanks.

K80sr is M rated = 81mph
But bgm is S rated =112, have bought one but not yet tested although ya be a brave fella doing warp speed on them ;)
ULC Soulagent

Postby dscscotty » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:10 pm

Mitas MC35-Dry

Mitas MC20-Wet
dscscotty

Next

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3