LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Gears

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Gears

Postby frostymuzic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:51 am

Happy weather Guys,
Ok I did the gearbox Rebuild as per spanners manal on my series 2 Eibar,
My first complete engine rebuild, I might add, all went well and enjoyed the whole process,
My problem is Neautral, ??
I put her back together she fired up Yay, thought i would work on the Jetting, But alas,
Really hard to go into Neutral from 2nd and seem to jump out of first,
I loosend the cables to make sure nothing fowling,
When I rock her she is quick to jump out of neutral , so any thoughts,Have Imust have missed something ,
I was thinking maybe would Endplate shim be the answer ?? to big or small cause problem ??
Any thoughts,
Jetex and atomisers for another time !!?/
Regards Dave ,
frostymuzic

Re: Gears

Postby MickYork » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:22 am

My initial thought is one of the gears wrong way up.

Either way it's a strip down again to double check everything.

Good luck

* another thought !! have you got the cables the wrong way round and have you found a "false" neutral (between 3/4)..... :?:
Last edited by MickYork on Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
MickYork

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:29 am

Are you 100% certain that you have installed the loose gears absolutely correctly and facing the right direction with regard to the oil ways that are cut in them. You would not be the first to do this wrong if you have.
That would be my very first thought. When you lay them out initially they look all wrong but it is right.

Gearbox end plate shim important but will not cause your problem.
Lastly, is this a new clutch? Did you pre soak? Did it install smoothly and did the plates have room to spin when the clutch compressor forced them down?
Is your clutch correctly adjusted?
People often make the mistake of tightening the trunnion up way before the clutch arm has started to make contact with the clutch itself. This can be almost another inch of travel needed on the clutch arm.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Chadley » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:20 am

Before you do anything drastic like stripping down the gearbox, just check that you really are trying to find neutral between first and second. After a rebuild a few years ago, the school-boy error I made was having the gear cable/trunnions set so what I thought was 1st to 2nd was in fact 2nd to 3rd. It was a bit tricky getting neutral until I realised what was going on!
Chadley

Postby frostymuzic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:11 pm

Thanks Guys for all the Info,
deffinatley 1st gear and neautral, But will double double check, , before I tear it down,
new clutch plates and indeed soaked plates overnight before the instal,
I Think I put gears in Right way around ?? But and there always is !! I will have fun having a look,
On that Note:_ Can i just drain oil, take side casing of etc,remove Cluttch and then remove endplate to get to gears, Can i leave rear hub on ?
hopefully weather will hold on not so Sunny Canvey and I will attack in the Morning :)
I really want to be riding this Summer !!
frostymuzic

Postby MickYork » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:16 pm

Hub can be left on.
MickYork

Postby frostymuzic » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:33 am

again Thanks guys , will hopefully not get blown away whilst having a look , :D :lol: :roll:
frostymuzic

Postby dickie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:54 pm

I had a similar experience on an eibar s2. And assumed I'd balled up. Chiselspeed took a look when
I couldn't work it out and found that it wasn't a single issue but the accumulative effect of lots of small issues.

Basically, every component was a little bit worn (but within spec) but the cumulative error.was enough to make.it unrideable.
dickie

Postby frostymuzic » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:40 pm

Had a Lovely day , and took the gearbox apart ,
Might have had the gear in the wrong way DOH , :lol:
All back together as she should be YAY :D
so another day tomorrow to finish off as work tonight , ( a trying singer guitarist ) :P
Again thanks guys for all the imput,
regards and enjoy that sun
David
frostymuzic

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:54 pm

Easily done. Misleading photographs in workshop manuals. Always a good excuse.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby MickYork » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:21 am

maybe write a song about the trials and tribulations of building a Lambretta gearbox :mrgreen:
MickYork

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3