LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

EXOL OIL

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: EXOL OIL

Postby bsso78 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:46 am

I use fully biodegradable second hand chip fat at 3.65% and recently completed a round trip to Greggs over the road flat out all the way there and back. Ran faultlessly. I think that’s all the proof needed.
bsso78

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:27 pm

This debate could run & run with every Barrie, Gary, Harry & Larry chipping in as above...... ;)

However, to qualify my own experiences of using Exol Optima @ 2% in various tuned engines ranging from Rapido to TS1's, all with good/rebuilt cranks & well filtered air to the carburettor there has not been an issue.

From what I have seen & read in this debate, I would be extremely cautious in using the same mix in an RB kitted engine, though my automatic preference is to try & filter the intake air, though I realise the potential problems in ensuring that.

There are two stroke oils that I would not use, & others that I would. I would even go as far as saying that there can be marked differences between oils stated as air cooled specific & others that may be "all rounders" but that is only a measure of my caution.

At this point in time, from my own experiences & involvement with quite a few engines, I cannot 'rubbish' Exol Optima in conjunction with a good Super Unleaded, preferably with adequately filtered air. With tuned engines, other than RB's of which I have no hands on experience, it has been successfully used @ 50:1. :)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Hat » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:35 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:This debate could run & run with every Barrie, Gary, Harry & Larry chipping in as above...... ;)

However, to qualify my own experiences of using Exol Optima @ 2% in various tuned engines ranging from Rapido to TS1's, all with good/rebuilt cranks & well filtered air to the carburettor there has not been an issue.

From what I have seen & read in this debate, I would be extremely cautious in using the same mix in an RB kitted engine, though my automatic preference is to try & filter the intake air, though I realise the potential problems in ensuring that.

There are two stroke oils that I would not use, & others that I would. I would even go as far as saying that there can be marked differences between oils stated as air cooled specific & others that may be "all rounders" but that is only a measure of my caution.

At this point in time, from my own experiences & involvement with quite a few engines, I cannot 'rubbish' Exol Optima in conjunction with a good Super Unleaded, preferably with adequately filtered air. With tuned engines, other than RB's of which I have no hands on experience, it has been successfully used @ 50:1. :)

good summary, and that's all any of us can say - based on our own experience
Hat

Postby Kev Fox » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:49 pm

The only issue I have had with the Exol Optima Racing is gummed up rings a couple of times. I put this down to not pushing the scoot to its full potential as you would a race scoot. I do some long faster rides but also some around town stuff too. Had thought of switching to Exol semi synthetic but unsure now. The internet can be a great source of information but equally confusing with so many products and differing points of view.
Kev Fox

Postby Meds » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:43 pm

After reading this post i decided to take everyone’s advice.
So tried it without 2 stroke - and Exol is much better.
Tried chip fat - that blocked my arteries and bunged my ring
Meds

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:38 pm

Kev Fox wrote:The only issue I have had with the Exol Optima Racing is gummed up rings a couple of times. I put this down to not pushing the scoot to its full potential as you would a race scoot. I do some long faster rides but also some around town stuff too. Had thought of switching to Exol semi synthetic but unsure now. The internet can be a great source of information but equally confusing with so many products and differing points of view.

Like you I used the fully synth Optima oil from Exol. I think you're right. You need to push the engine pretty hard to get the benefit. But really you shouldn't have to do that unless you really do go everywhere flat out. I wouldn't bother with the semi. I'm not sure about it and have gone back to Groundsman myself.
ToBoldlyGo

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3