LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Brake cable

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Brake cable

Postby rossclark » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:09 pm

I saw somewhere on FB a new style of rear brake cable - I thought I'd saved the post but now can find it nowhere nor remember the site - anyone else see it?
rossclark

Re: Brake cable

Postby dickie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Do you mean the type with threaded end? The one that does away with the normal knurled adjuster?
dickie

Postby gaz_powell » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:09 pm

https://www.lambrettasense.co.uk/produc ... and-barrel

Threaded end (back) and an eye (same as Vespa Px) for the pedal end

Wont be long before BGM are copying them....... ;)
gaz_powell

Postby Scooterdude » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:17 pm

gaz_powell wrote:https://www.lambrettasense.co.uk/product-page/copy-of-qr2-lambretta-rear-brake-cable-assembly-without-adjuster-and-barrel

Ive had something similar from Torbay Lambretta.
Scooterdude

Postby dickie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:06 pm

gaz_powell wrote:https://www.lambrettasense.co.uk/product-page/copy-of-qr2-lambretta-rear-brake-cable-assembly-without-adjuster-and-barrel

phwoar, sexy.
dickie

Postby rossclark » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:09 pm

That's the one cheers. :)
rossclark

Postby dscscotty » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:46 pm

We're (Team DSC) are currently testing these on one of our group 6 race scooters, they are a great bit of kit, make changing motors etc a lot easier
dscscotty

Postby gaz_powell » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:54 am

Vespa technology from the T5 !!
gaz_powell

Postby Watfordwhite » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:25 pm

dscscotty wrote:We're (Team DSC) are currently testing these on one of our group 6 race scooters, they are a great bit of kit, make changing motors etc a lot easier

Scotty,
Keep us up to date on this. Looks a good bit of kit.
Wonder why it doesn’t say S1?
Watfordwhite

Postby roli150lam » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:17 pm

I wish to buy one or two of these cables,but am finding it difficult.
Their site leads me to changing my email settings.
Which i don't want to do.does anyone have different contact details ?i.e.phone or a more direct access to buy
Thanks Roli.
roli150lam

Postby dickie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:58 pm

roli150lam wrote:I wish to buy one or two of these cables,but am finding it difficult.
Their site leads me to changing my email settings.
Which i don't want to do.does anyone have different contact details ?i.e.phone or a more direct access to buy
Thanks Roli.

He won't sell them yet anyway. Wants to test them a but more before release.

Not sure how helpful that is.
dickie

Postby roli150lam » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:13 am

Ok.
Thanks for the reply.
roli150lam

Postby Bofs » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:31 pm

Knowledge on here was making these years ago, try him.
Bofs

Postby dickie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:12 pm

He's just started selling them. They are different to the knowledge ones as they have an eye on the pedal end.

Posted one out to me yesterday.

I can PM his email if anyone wants it although I doubt it's private if he's selling from it.
dickie

Postby asjll1973 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:18 am

dickie wrote:He's just started selling them. They are different to the knowledge ones as they have an eye on the pedal end.

Posted one out to me yesterday.

I can PM his email if anyone wants it although I doubt it's private if he's selling from it.

Yeah mate, can you pm me his contact info, I've seen them and they look great.
asjll1973

Postby Mark97 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:54 pm

Guys/Girls,

Its me that designed and is selling them - was actually originally deisgned by myself back in the early 90s for my Group 4 race scooter - and yes back then I used a much modified Vespa T5 cable - never once had a problem in probably 8 years of full on Group 4 racing and it was such a good idea I always wondered why no-one else had done something similar.

In fact I won the LCGB Clubmans Racing Championship back in 1993 using it.

So I finally thought it was about time I got some made, so started messing around with prototypes at the start of this year and had to have a few bits made specifically to make it fit without needing any drilling or fettling of the standard components.

They really are so easy to fit.

Cable's have been properly tested by Scotty at Team DSC, Mick Howard on Sign of the Snake - plus a few others so I am happy that they are spot on - AND THEY ARE UK MADE too.....

Soon to be tested on S1s and S2s as Iggy had a small issue on his Framebreather - which he says has odd fat legshield spars....

If anyone wants one simply email me - mark@lambrettasense.co.uk

They are £35 inc postage for the Cable Assembly - which includes pre-fitted Stainless Top Hats and the pins and clips to fit them. The set with the Optional Stainless Adjuster set is £45 - whcih is great value when you see how much these cost elsewehere.....

I have a few left from the first batch I had made - selling very well - and am just awaiting another delivery of the Optional Stainless Adjuster Sets, after the first batch got lost by the couriers AND am just about to order another batch of the actual cables.

When the initial batch sells out - I wont take any money from anyone until I have stocks of the 2nd batch of Cable's AND the Adjuster Sets.

And if BGM - or anyone else- copies them it will be blatant plagiarism and simply not cricket eh......

Thanks,

Mark Ellis
Mark97

Postby dickie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:56 pm

I've just fitted one and it was much nicer than that horrible clamp at the pedal.

The flat coil outer is nice too.

Overall a good thing and I'd fit again.

Shame you don't do them in grey, but I'll get over it.
dickie

Postby Mark97 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I can get them done in Grey but would need to order so many and be confident of selling them. I'll see how well Sales of tbe black version go and look at it in a few months.

I di have thg idea of supplying a length of grey Heatshrink tubing - but it might devalue the product.....

thanks.
Mark97

Postby Knowledge » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:42 pm

Mark97 wrote:Guys/Girls,
... it was such a good idea I always wondered why no-one else had done something similar.

I did something similar, and I sold in excess of 2000 inner cables with threaded ends. I did not develop the matter further because I became aware that even small differences in tolerances made gauging the correct length of the outer cable challenging. Some outers need different routes, especially when the carb is on the TS1 side. I am pleased that you have found a solution to the issues that I perceived.

I also like the use of square-coil outer, which should greatly improve the effectiveness of the cable.

As far as the traditional cable-fitting on the pedal, then there are a couple of useful tricks. If you use the tradition adjuster, fit the adjuster to the plain inner cable before fitting it to the scooter. Then fit the outer and slide the inner up from the rear and fit it loosely thought the cable clamp at the pedal.

Fit the adjuster to the rear brake operating lever and take up all the slack by pull it tight using a cable tie around lower shock mount. Only then tighten the clamp at the pedal, with both hands free.
Last edited by Knowledge on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge

Postby Mark97 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:51 am

Thanks Knowledge - I have made the Outers and the Inners slightly longer than a standard cable which should cover almost every configuration of carb position and negate the use of those "extended" top-hats.

So far every one has fitted perfectly - so touch wood....

I too have done the same trick with the cable tie - but with the eyelet system I have fitting is an absolute doddle - plus its a much neater solution.

And you can very easily and quickly undo the whole cable so that it is very easy to periodically apply a squirt of dry PTFE spray - although it is nylon lined to start with.

Thanks.
Mark97

Next

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3