LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

No spark

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

No spark

Postby kevinneil » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:37 pm

Hi any thoughts.

Scooter was running fine then conked out. Tried kicking it over with no luck. I have fuel and carb seems to be fine.

Then checked spark plug and have no spark.

Changed the spark plug. Swapped the CDI unit with one that works on another scooter. Disconnected the green ignition lead and still no spark.

Any thoughts what to try next?

Neil
kevinneil

Re: No spark

Postby MickYork » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:03 pm

had this problem at the weekend. 4 of us couldn't see a spark, new HT lead, suppressor cap, spark plug....still no joy. Kicking it over i got a whacking great belt off the spark plug. Although we couldn't see a spark there was one....turned out to be a fuel issue.

Basically stick your finger in the suppressor cap before you rule out no spark :shock:
MickYork

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:39 am

Best seen in dark and not bright daylight.
If still no spark, then by the process of elimination, it's your stator.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby kevinneil » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:15 pm

CHRIS in MARGATE wrote:Best seen in dark and not bright daylight.
If still no spark, then by the process of elimination, it's your stator.

Thanks Chris, that was going to be my next point of call but never worked on a stator plate before so was hoping it might be something else. :D
kevinneil

Postby kevinneil » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:16 pm

MickYork wrote:had this problem at the weekend. 4 of us couldn't see a spark, new HT lead, suppressor cap, spark plug....still no joy. Kicking it over i got a whacking great belt off the spark plug. Although we couldn't see a spark there was one....turned out to be a fuel issue.

Basically stick your finger in the suppressor cap before you rule out no spark :shock:

Hi Mick,

Thanks for that, How big a belt do you get if you stick your finger in the suppressor?
kevinneil

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Enough to make you shout fxxxxng ell !!
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:32 pm

Far more comfortable to be a sadist than a masochist. :lol:
Electronic stators are notoriously unreliable especially the stators LT coil.
If you have access to a multimeter then set it to 200V(AC) range and connect between the green ignition wire and ground.
Removed the spark plug, make sure the ignition is turned on and kick it over. You should see a brief reading in excess of 50V. If you have next to nothing then the chances are the LT coil is goosed.
Fast n Furious

Postby MickYork » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:22 pm

kevinneil wrote:
MickYork wrote:had this problem at the weekend. 4 of us couldn't see a spark, new HT lead, suppressor cap, spark plug....still no joy. Kicking it over i got a whacking great belt off the spark plug. Although we couldn't see a spark there was one....turned out to be a fuel issue.

Hi Mick,

Thanks for that, How big a belt do you get if you stick your finger in the suppressor?

Just a tickle, hardly anything......in fact have a cup of hot tea in your other hand and take a sip when kicking it over... :twisted:

report back on here afterwards and let us know how you got on.....but no swear words or mentioning my ancestry :mrgreen:
MickYork

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3