LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

TV/LIS/Eibar series 3 headset

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

TV/LIS/Eibar series 3 headset

Postby dave999 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:58 pm

Hello
first post
Dave from twickenham... nice to meet you all....

i have a TV175 and a spanish Li125 66-73 (i.e italian like in every way)
both need headsets

as luck would have it i have a range of mis-matched parts that i'm trying to make fit

any tips on fitting and fettling a headset top that doesn't particularly like its bottom.

my problem
if i can get the front headlamp rim to match i have a gap at either the front or rear of the handlebar wings
if i get one side of the handlebar wings in perfectly i have a gap at the other side or the front headlight bit doesn't match.

I can see that if i can get the rear of the top lower a good match with the base can be achieved
if i could tap/hammer/bend out the back and the sides of the wings a tad that may also help...

so anyone filed anything off, if you did was it successful?
anyone tried heating quenching and gently persuading using hammer or m5 studs washers and a nice long spanner?

i recently gave up with the italian tops and invested in 2 SX style SIL tops that came off US spec GPs for a state that didn't like square headlights
they have the FAT indian modification for Fat indian handlebars. luckily only FAT on the outside and italian slim on the inner so am making progress.

My problem is i don't know what GOOD looks like how good does a Good italian fit look like...anyone got any pictures of a good fit? an acceptable fit? i know what awful looks like. the only scooters i know are the ones i own and they have been in a dismantled and unrestored state since 1996

attached some pics to show progress
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave999

Re: TV/LIS/Eibar series 3 headset

Postby Danbretta » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.
Check the markings on the inside, there are two types of casting Mark's for the top and base. This is a start to find ones that will be ok together. It's a case of trying different combinations with the correct casting numbers. One has a rectangle the other I think has an oval on the markings if I remember correctly.
If the top sits on the base without rocking and the gaps are very tiny then this will be the perfect fit.
I went through the same trying to find a decent pair to replace my damaged original ones.
You shouldn't need to do too much to get them to fit, in case you damage them.
Your top image is where you want to be but I'm guessing the other side is off?
If the gap is bigger it's ok to allow for the paint and laquer.
Danbretta

Postby HxPaul » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:18 am

HxPaul

Postby dave999 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:35 pm

many thanks chaps

i have also been experimenting with aluminium solder sticks

top photo now looks much the same on both sides....so am quite pleased with that...hour or so with a file and getting there...

other progress was made by soldering up holes in another top. holes that had been caused by someone using a standard taper tap rather bottoming tap when re taping for the mount screws. i.e had broken through

reasonably successful

hope fully should have 2 nice headsets to post sometime in the next week or so...
dave999

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3