LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Tool box lock barrel

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Tool box lock barrel

Postby Danbretta » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:31 pm

Hi Folks,
Can the barrel in the tool box lock be removed and rebuilt? I have a key to match the numbers on the lock but it doesnt work. Not sure if it's been forced or worn over the years.
If they can be removed any tips or advice on how to do it.
Thanks.
Danbretta

Re: Tool box lock barrel

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:23 am

Jem Booth does keys for them so he may be able to repair your lock.

jmb548t@yahoo.co.uk

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby lofty » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:51 pm

it depends on the lock..

if its original and you want to preseve it as-is, Jem is probably your man and i would definitely reccomend him..

if its of uncertain origin and you dont mind having a go you can often get them apart and fiddle with the insides, I have had some luck in doing this, however you will end up searching the floor for tiny 'flea pogo stick' springs at least once..

basically i got the barrel out, put my key in and filed the little brass levers until they were flush with the barrel.. it probably isnt the most secure of locks, but they never were in the first place..
lofty

Postby missing lynx » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:10 pm

It depends what you mean by doesn't work if it's jammed then soaking it in WD should free it. If there's movement but the lock wont turn then I would suspect your key is worn but if the lock can be turned with anything ie screwdriver etc then it's the plungers in the barrel. As said if anyone could fix it Jem Booths your man good luck if you do decide to take it apart do it in a big clear plastic bag to stop loosing the bits
missing lynx

Postby Danbretta » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:25 pm

The key goes in (although it needs a wiggle to get it to sit in fully) maybe debris is fouling it.
The key won't turn the lock, its doesnt look worn but I might get a replacement cut anyway from Jem.
Is there a way of removing the barrel without grinding down the rivets. I have removed the circlip style clip from the back of the door but need to remove the barrel and have a look to see what's obstructing it.

Will make sure i open it up in a bag to keep the bits together
Danbretta

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3