LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

New frame with no number

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

New frame with no number

Postby Binny » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:13 am

A friend has recently bought an Indian GP frame which has no VIN number or any other marks stamped on it and never has. It's effectively new!

He now wants to build up a full scooter using this frame

Does anyone have any ideas about how he could get registered?
Binny

Re: New frame with no number

Postby Knowledge » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:10 pm

I once heard that it doesn't matter what the frame number is, as long as it is unique.

Maybe a grown-up will be able to confirm this.....
Knowledge

Postby MickYork » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:21 pm

The problem, as I see it, is that there is nothing that says it's a lambretta. Without a frame number it could be anything. I would think that the complete scooter would have to be taken to an "authorised" Lambretta dealer who could confirm that it is in fact a Lambretta. This letter would then need to be sent to DVLA with other appropriate documentation.

Just another scenario but if I made my own frame, got a Cassa or GT engine, used Scomadi forks, etc, basically built a "Lambretta" with NO genuine Lambretta/Innocenti parts...…..would it be a Lambretta ?
MickYork

Postby gizmo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:42 pm

MickYork wrote:The problem, as I see it, is that there is nothing that says it's a lambretta. Without a frame number it could be anything. I would think that the complete scooter would have to be taken to an "authorised" Lambretta dealer who could confirm that it is in fact a Lambretta. This letter would then need to be sent to DVLA with other appropriate documentation.

Just another scenario but if I made my own frame, got a Cassa or GT engine, used Scomadi forks, etc, basically built a "Lambretta" with NO genuine Lambretta/Innocenti parts...…..would it be a Lambretta ?

As far as i am aware the frame number defines the identity of the bike. Exactly as you say. What is it. No expert on this but would think its a no no
gizmo

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:24 pm

Thing is, it has to be dated to get an age related registration. No frame number = no date, therefore no reg' no.With DVLA help you may be able to get a new 2020 reg' by stamping with a 16 digit No that DVLA give you. Best bet would be to use the frame to replace a knackered one which already has a V5.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby St George » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:47 pm

I have a full set of stamps if you need them, letters and numbers. Used to mark our tools with them ( Honest ). I agree with Rich, stamp the new frame with the old numbers. You are doing it in good faith, may be wrong, but so is using your phone whilst driving.
St George

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:23 pm

I think you'd have to be replacing an existing frame. But you can't just restamp your numbers. I think it has to be with the knowledge of the DVLA or else it's akin to fraud.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Binny » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:41 pm

Thanks for your replies. Looks like it’s going to be a real problem to get this frame registered.
Binny

Postby Rich Oswald » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:06 pm

St George wrote:I have a full set of stamps if you need them, letters and numbers. Used to mark our tools with them ( Honest ). I agree with Rich, stamp the new frame with the old numbers. You are doing it in good faith, may be wrong, but so is using your phone whilst driving.

St George, no way did I say that. Read again, I said it could be used to replace a knackered frame which is already registered. No way should anyone restamp a frame with anything other than what DVLA tell you to.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby Rich Oswald » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:07 pm

Binny wrote:Thanks for your replies. Looks like it’s going to be a real problem to get this frame registered.

You won't ever get it registered in it's own right as a classic Lambretta.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby Binny » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 pm

You won't ever get it registered in it's own right as a classic Lambretta.

Rich'[/quote]

Thanks Rich -I thought as much.
Binny

Postby St George » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:12 pm

Sorry for misunderstanding Rich. There are frames out there with V5's present which might be an option. Sell the un-stamped frame to a racing team.
St George

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:53 pm

St George wrote:Sorry for misunderstanding Rich. There are frames out there with V5's present which might be an option. Sell the un-stamped frame to a racing team.

No problem mate, things can easily get misinterpreted. Selling to a race team is a very good option.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby Knowledge » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:28 am

The bad news for Binny is that the racing teams are breaking their frames at the moment. No one is.

I watched a video last night of Peter Hickman (IoM TT lap record holder @ 135mph) walking the viewer around his workshop. Although he was very upbeat, it was obvious that almost nothing is going to happen on the track for most of this year in any shape or form. No spectators paying-in, no security personnel required, no food vendors earning a crust etc

Yet another industry where people will not be generating any income while CV19 is haunting us.
Knowledge

Postby ULC Soulagent » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:08 pm

All the Major international Real Road Racing has been halted, NW200,TT and now the Ulster Gp has been added :|
Even the smaller road racing has been affected which I’ll be very surprised if any run this year, bit like when foot n mouth broke out many moons ago.
ULC Soulagent

Postby bike grim » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:09 pm

Knowledge wrote:The bad news for Binny is that the racing teams are breaking their frames at the moment. No one is.

Are not
bike grim

Postby St George » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:08 pm

If all else fails, you can buy my bright red Indian GP150.
St George

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3