LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Tips on removing steering lock from S1

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Tips on removing steering lock from S1

Postby Raveydavey » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:05 pm

Frame Breather Headset: In a perfect world I'd expect that by removing the grub screw a steering lock should just pull out. Sadly this one has other ideas. To be fair its been in situ for nearly 60 years and it looks pretty comfortable where it is. Thing is I want to get this pained so its got to come out.
I've tried
1. Coating it in WD40; filled the grub screw hole with it and left for days
2. Heating it up and then tried to lever it our using a thin screw driver through the grub screw hole.

I realize that putting a key in it would give me more leverage but I do not yet have one (its on my to do list)

Short of drilling a hole to knock it out I'm out of ideas.

Plan B is to mask it off; leave it where it is, which feels like throwing in the towel. Before I do that anyone else hit this problem and solved it?
Raveydavey

Re: Tips on removing steering lock from S1

Postby MK Monty » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:02 pm

on the inside you should have what looks like a small blanking plate, round about 12mm. it covers the piston that is sprung loaded and when you turn the key? a cam pushes said piston down into the chrome ring locking the headset. Tap out the blanking plate You may have to use a sharp screwdriver. Once out you can see the lock barrel and persuade it to leave home. the cover can be bought but it only keeps the sh1t out of the grease that should be in side
MK Monty

Postby Raveydavey » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:30 pm

Thanks MK Monty. There was a nice film of ancient grime masking the existence of the backing plate. I can see that now. Does it go inwards, or can I lever it outwards? It seems quite a soft alloy so I can tap a small screwdriver in at one edge and lever it outwards?
Raveydavey

Postby Raveydavey » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:52 pm

Sorted it! :D
Raveydavey

Postby Marty ULC » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:35 pm

Raveydavey wrote:Sorted it! :D

How did you do it?
Need to free mine up too.
Marty ULC

Postby Raveydavey » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Damn! I was hoping nobody would asks me that...oh well truth time:

1. I heated the hell out of it
2. I dug a thin screw driver in to the thin alloy cap and prized it out
3. I heated the hell out of it again and through the hole the alloy cap left, managed to get a screw driver in between the barrel end and the back of the housing; started levering
4. Out came the lock mechanism; In stayed the brass surround
5. Heated the hell out of it again and tired levering as above to get the brass surround to budge; failed
6. Tried gentle persuasion from the front, which started chipping the face of the lock (bad; stop!!!)
7. Got carried away and broke the hinge off the cap
8. Wept
9. looked at it; wept some more
10, Got a drill out

So the perfect 59 year old steering lock is now minced, but at least its out and can be painted.

For the record I've also totaled the rear light lens and one of the threads on the horn case, but apart from that the whole bike is now totally stripped. I like to think I got off lightly :roll:

Although truth be told, I wish I'd left the steering lock alone. It could have been masked off for painting. :oops:
Raveydavey

Postby Marty ULC » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:01 pm

Think I'll just carry on using a heavy chain lock instead then :lol:
Marty ULC

Postby Granty » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:44 pm

Opposite problem for me, bought 2 keys from Jem (great service as usual) for my S1 steering lock, went to turn the lock and the locks just spinning and engaging nothing. Looks like there is no plunger actually in the lock? Any ideas if old steering locks can have new internals? - Cheers G
Granty

Postby Toddy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:29 pm

Granty wrote:Opposite problem for me, bought 2 keys from Jem (great service as usual) for my S1 steering lock, went to turn the lock and the locks just spinning and engaging nothing. Looks like there is no plunger actually in the lock? Any ideas if old steering locks can have new internals? - Cheers G

Do you mean the plunger that goes under the lock and pushes down into the chrome ring ?
Toddy

Postby Granty » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:56 pm

Toddy wrote:
Granty wrote:Opposite problem for me, bought 2 keys from Jem (great service as usual) for my S1 steering lock, went to turn the lock and the locks just spinning and engaging nothing. Looks like there is no plunger actually in the lock? Any ideas if old steering locks can have new internals? - Cheers G

Do you mean the plunger that goes under the lock and pushes down into the chrome ring ?

Aye Toddy -- on closer inspection it looks like the locks been snapped at some point, there doesn't seem to be a plunger that pushes down into the chrome ring -- G
Granty

Postby Toddy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:06 pm

Granty wrote:
Toddy wrote:

Aye Toddy -- on closer inspection it looks like the locks been snapped at some point, there doesn't seem to be a plunger that pushes down into the chrome ring -- G

You can buy the plunger and spring separate buddy
Toddy

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3