LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

OKO 30mm

Want to know which carb to choose? Having problems setting up the jetting details on your scooter? Wheter you are using a standard or tuned carb, ask your question here.

OKO 30mm

Postby Nonerve » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:45 pm

Hi, planning on trying this on a Ts1, like the compact size. Can any grown up give jet sizes to start jetting procedure, many thanks
Nonerve

Re: OKO 30mm

Postby St George » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:54 pm

Are they not a pattern copy of a Keihin carb. May find something searching under that name.. I had a 30 mm OKO on my JET 200, did not own the scooter long, but the carb looked well made. If all else fails Youtube ?
St George

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:33 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:I've not used the Polini PWK, but there are other manufacturers that make PWK carbs under license besides them.

I strongly suggest you invest some time researching the internet for information of how they should be 'blueprinted' which includes setting the float, ensuring passageways are adequate etc. I'd be very surprised if the Polini needs any modifications.....

That said, it is very worthwhile modifying the floatbowl so that the pilot jet is removable without having to remove the bowl itself. You can see how this can be achieved via:

http://www.mid-atlantictrials.com/Instal.html

I think the PWK carbs are extremely good as they are easy to set up, are relatively inexpensive, work very well with an adequate air filter & do not have any tendency to flood (built in float bowl overflow), unlike one round slide type that is extremely popular with many lambretta users.

I copied the above because the checks & changes mentioned are worth doing, whoever the manufacturer is.

To answer your question, I should have details for the TS somewhere, but bear with me ;)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby coaster » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:13 am

Nonerve wrote:Hi, planning on trying this on a Ts1, like the compact size. Can any grown up give jet sizes to start jetting procedure, many thanks

This is what I was recommended with an 30mm OKO on my TS1 a few years ago{

Pilot 38
Main 138 - 145
Needle - JJH or JJK

That got it running and ridding around but I cant remember which main I ended up with but I think it was at least 140. I didn't persist with it as I had a slight nip up and thought it might have been fuel height related so chnged to a PHBH.
coaster

Postby Nonerve » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:17 am

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your endeavour. I should also add the expansion pipe to be used is a tsr evo.
Nonerve

Postby drivera » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:07 am

Have a look at the " splatshop " web site , they sell genuine Keihin carbs at a decent price and have a decent technical page on them , it mostly relates to gas gas bikes but quite useful .
Re the fuel starvation if you bend the float tab so it fills with more petrol that usually sorts it out .
drivera

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:20 am

As with most piston ported engines, the pilot required will be small (for reference, 32 is the lowest that I have used)

With a more efficient bottom end, reed valve engine, the pilot will almost certainly be larger, so I wouldn't go lower than 45 to start with.

As promised, I will get you the information that I have, hopefully later today.

If you needed further encouragement, I took a video of the first 'half hearted kick' start up of a major rebuild of a TS that I did (with a dangling CDI & a 'just shoved on' air filter) which convinced me even more of the joy of these carbs. I built that particular PWK 34 mm for my own Rapido, so my own design of adjustable power jet is screwed shut. I suppose I could Whatsapp it to you...... :?:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Nonerve » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:45 am

Ok I will pm my number so you can use WhatsApp . Thanks
Nonerve

Postby Nonerve » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:49 pm

Thank you for the correspondence. I will need to purchase a selection of jets to tune in. Also would I need an inline fuel filter if so what size, at a guess 8mm.
Nonerve

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:09 am

Careful with the inline filter; some need a good head to flow.
If you are buying jets they come in ranges.

Pilot most likely will not be more than a 38 so buy the range 32 - 38.
Mains: over various configurations I have run 110 and 115 and in others 125. Currently 125 main and 34 pilot with breathe easy filter on 225 Rapido with reed valve but no boost port.
Nice carb but imho needs a stronger spring above the slide.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Nonerve » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:04 pm

Thank you, start shopping tonight, couple of biker mates say racing planet are also a good source for accessories.
Nonerve

Return to Carburettors