LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Ram air filter or tea strainer?

Want to know which carb to choose? Having problems setting up the jetting details on your scooter? Wheter you are using a standard or tuned carb, ask your question here.

Ram air filter or tea strainer?

Postby eadmr04 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:40 pm

I’m running a stage 5 Honda 205. Thinking of swapping my 30mm mk 2 Amal with a new 30mm dellorto phbh (had a lifetime of spit back up my panels and over my back wheel). I want to run a filter and wanted people’s opinions on either a ram/remote air filter or a tea strainer one. I think I’d prefer the remote type but not too sure about if they fit ok under GP panels and if they make it tricky jetting in?
eadmr04

Re: Ram air filter or tea strainer?

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:25 pm

IMHO, the only "non-standard" Dell'Orto's worthy of consideration for use with an air filter are those with a built-in anti-flood, which should point you in the direction of the VH range. If "adding drain holes" to the air hose will "cure" that issue with the PH range (as some people will tell you) then that is a cop-out.

Just because the PH range finds favour with road going Lambretta scooterists doesn't make them the best option.

I would advise you to consider other options & my current favourite (based on cost, ease of setting up & suitability for use with an air filter) is the PWK generic design. In general, though, knowledgable two stroke builders recognise that the slide should not be round as in a four stroke. The guillotine type is much more efficient.

Several companies associated with two stroke tuning have opted to manufacture the PWK under license. Included amongst them are Polini that fit them to their own motors for paragliding etc. Such motors must be reliable & capable of re-starting mid air.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Rich Oswald » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:08 pm

The Ram air / Breathe Sweet filters will fit under GP panels depending on the length of your manifold. The one I would recommend though is the green panel filter sold by Chiselspeed. I went from open mouth with one of those and it had minimal effect on the jetting.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Hat » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:06 am

I tried the tea strainer (on a 30mm PHBH) and it choked the engine meaning it would have needed a re-jet. I’ve since fitted a breathe sweet which fits fine under my SX panel and makes no difference to how it runs
Hat

Postby missing lynx » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:25 pm

There's a misconception about the "tea strainer" it's not really a filter it just stops large bits going in your carb but doesn't filter out the fine particles that cause cylinder wear it also won't stop blow back from the carb covering your panels or without panels you passengers legs
missing lynx

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:56 pm

I use the tea strainer on my 28 PHBH for my standard RT 195, works well with no jetting change as I came off a remote filter which was causing panel fitment issues.The strainer actually has 3 layers of mesh which probably keeps out the majority of dirt but obviously not the super fine particles but since we don’t live in a very dusty/ sandy country then I can live with that ;)
ULC Soulagent

Postby dickie » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:44 pm

There seems to be 2 polar opposite sets of reports about this type of filter. Could it be less of a problem on piston ported motors than reed valves? Or maybe high vs low revving motors? Pure suggestion there, I have no reason to think either is better suited, it's just that I've noticed such wildly opposing reports.
dickie

Return to Carburettors