LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Lockdown rebuild

LAMBRETTA ONLY PLEASE
Show your Lambretta off to us all with pictures of your pride and joy.

Lockdown rebuild

Postby Psychedelicropcircle » Sun May 03, 2020 7:19 pm

dropped this a few years ago on the way to Whitby at 1 mph avoiding a lamb! Fast forward to Jan 20 when Ralph was in Edinburgh, I mentioned id like to get my scuffs sorted on my S3 TV only to find out a space at the painters he used had become available so the scoot bodywork was sharply stripped & dropped into Geordie land. its possibly going to be ready for pick up this week...so here goes!

top pic return journey from southport 19 with a sheered piston

Psychedelicropcircle

Re: Lockdown rebuild

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sun May 03, 2020 9:09 pm

What happens when you drop that 8/10/13mm etc socket...? Rhetorical question, just jealous :lol: Is that like a car examination pit with space below the platform...?
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Psychedelicropcircle » Sun May 03, 2020 9:26 pm

Andy B.L.C. wrote:What happens when you drop that 8/10/13mm etc socket...? Rhetorical question, just jealous :lol: Is that like a car examination pit with space below the platform...?

It’s for the rare occasion when none need tinkering with & the hatch goes over the top. Learnt from previous mancaves that walking round benches all the time is annoying!
Psychedelicropcircle

Postby Toddy » Mon May 04, 2020 5:45 am

Nice Project to have Big man , what was the issue going to southprt then Sheared Piston ?
Toddy

Postby Psychedelicropcircle » Mon May 04, 2020 6:37 pm

wee bit more done, strangely everything that needs done in the garage turns into a square go :oops: starting to think lockdown is causing a perma frustration which as we know is not the frame of mind to be in the garage with.

toddy it had piston slap & was pushing my luck which ran out a mile short :D
Psychedelicropcircle

Postby Psychedelicropcircle » Sat May 09, 2020 12:38 pm

no news on the paint front! crank sent back with instruction :D

before i start the rebuild of the engine wots peoples opinion on the crack area do i machine the lip out that area giving a smooth finish or dremmel the piston parts out of there and smooth off as best I can? Its a 60mm web thats going back in. would option 1 start to mess with primary compression which is way out my league
Psychedelicropcircle

Postby Mark ULC » Sat May 09, 2020 7:00 pm

Being nosey but what oil were/are you using? Thanks
Mark ULC

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sat May 09, 2020 8:34 pm

Depending on what crank is used, you can get away without any machining required but some require a trough for the rod too clear the crankcase mouth.
ULC Soulagent

Postby Psychedelicropcircle » Mon May 11, 2020 6:19 pm

The oil request was exol which tbf hasn’t been used last season but had been for a few seasons previously.

Soulagent wot I meant was remove the area as if you were fitting a 62 / 64 mm web simply to leave a smooth finish. The 60/110 in previously didn’t need any change.
Psychedelicropcircle

Postby ULC Soulagent » Tue May 12, 2020 12:53 pm

Leave as is then ;)
I use exol, never had any issues with it and big end is always well lubed when taking out crank for checking over :lol:
ULC Soulagent

Postby Psychedelicropcircle » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:34 pm

coming along a bit. Only real change has been a ducati tronic which arrived with some pictures & no slots on the stator! i thought this was a casatronic made with ducati parts...not this no timing idiot proof kit :roll:
Psychedelicropcircle

Postby dscscotty » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:28 am

Leave as is then ;)
I use exol, never had any issues with it and big end is always well lubed when taking out crank for checking over :

Not that old chestnut!
I regularly strip and rebuild cranks and often see the damage this stuff does, if you've used it for a while at any sustained high rpm there's a good chance your pin and bearing will look like these.

One of these big end bearings has done 15000mls (LCGB BSM) on a good quality oil, the other three have less than 10000 between them on exol.

One of these pins is out of the crank with the 15000ml bearing, I'll leave you guess which one, change yer oil Scott! ;)
Imagehow to upload photo to internet

Scooter looks great!
dscscotty

Postby Simon_T » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:20 pm

Scotty, as a matter of interest what oil would you recommend, I have used exol in the past without issue but this has kinda changed my mind.
Simon_T

Postby Tractorman » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:12 am

Is that a VCB cog on your legshields?
Tractorman

Return to Show Your Ride