LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Changing to clubman exhaust

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Changing to clubman exhaust

Postby Danbretta » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi Everyone,
I hope you guys can give me some advice please.

I have an ancillotti clubman I'm thinking of putting on while I repair the original exhaust (needs some welding behind the bracket as it leaking). The engine is totally standard Li150 special.

My question is do I need to change anything else with the carb, jetting etc. or will I get away with just bolting on the clubman.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. You'll have probably guessed by now I'm a relatively newcomer to the scene.

Thanks all.
Danbretta

Re: Changing to clubman exhaust

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:47 pm

You'll have to upjet, that's for sure. Although, if it's a poor little 18mm carb you might find it a struggle.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Danbretta » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:14 pm

Thanks for your reply, looks like I'll be doing a bit of welding tomorrow now then :lol: .. I'll save the clubman for another time.
Danbretta

Postby davla » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:56 pm

They don't actually seem to make any difference to performance on a standard engine in my experience although in the past people reckoned they did. I took one off my GP200 and fitted a standard exhaust made by Tutto and top speed was exactly the same on my GPS but sounded quieter.
Last edited by davla on Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davla

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:43 pm

davla wrote:They don't actually seem to make any difference to performance on a standard engine in my experience although in the passed people reckoned they did. I took one off my GP200 and fitted a standard exhaust made by Tutto and top speed was exactly the same on my GPS but sounded quieter.

My feelings are similar, in that a decent clubman exhaust will make a tuned engine work well, but not necessarily a standard set up.

What seems to never be mentioned these days, is the modification of a standard exhaust. When it was all we could afford, we would cut up an OEM type exhaust, remove the central baffle & the inside tailpipe & even rip out the mesh sound deadening. These days, I would retain the mesh but make sure that it is securely welded in place. For a 150, I would advise something like a minimum 22 mm bore tailpipe & personally, I would cut the box lengthways on the offside to access the guts, but remove an inch strip for better clearance. Obviously such an exhaust is noisier, but I wouldn't say obtrusive, but you know what these rose tinted spectacles are like :P

In the 70's, that was the only modification I did to a GP150 & it allowed for a much more responsive, fuss free engine with a higher top speed. I wish I'd kept it as it also had 200 forks with a disc brake..... :roll:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby vegansydney » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:14 pm

davla wrote:They don't actually seem to make any difference to performance on a standard engine in my experience although in the past people reckoned they did. I took one off my GP200 and fitted a standard exhaust made by Tutto and top speed was exactly the same on my GPS but sounded quieter.

One of the most interesting outcomes of the Clubman exhaust shoot out (on GT186 with 28mm PHBH) in Scootering (2017) was the conclusion by Darrell Taylor: "I have my favorites of course, my number one being the standard exhaust! Not one aftermarket pipe matched the power up to 5,000 RPM". --referencing the late SX/GP exhaust without the 'mushroom' baffle.

Tutto Lambretta exhausts are the best standard exhausts available IMHO in terms of quality and fitment. They're only ~€10 more than a Casa pipe and significantly better quality.
vegansydney

Postby Danbretta » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. Interesting and some knowledge and good advice to take on board.
I've taken the original off and made a start on the repair work.
Was tempted to drop the clubman in just put of laziness with a heatwave on the way and rather be out on the lambretta than sitting at home.
If the repair doesnt work I might look into the tutto replacement.
I have that part of me that want to keep as much of the original components on the machine as possible.
Danbretta

Postby Danbretta » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 am

Thise tutto exhausts aren't easy to source, anyone know of a dealer that stocks them? I have found the italian website for tutto, not the easiest to use and order from.
Danbretta

Postby davla » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:58 pm

I got mine from Scootopia a couple of years ago. I originally bought the Casa standard exhaust from Scooter Restorations and it felt cheap and the welding was terrible so it went back. I ordered the Tutto and the difference was like chalk and cheese, real quality and built to last.
davla

Postby vegansydney » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:01 pm

I can’t help you with domestic distributors as I don’t live in UK, but I’ve purchased them from STF in Verona—who are the Italian market distributor for TL/Stratos—and direct from Tutto Lambretta. If STF are out of stock on their website just email them. If you purchase direct from Tutto, I find its best to order via phone (speak to Cinza), not email.

Regarding the comments above about the weld quality on the Casa exhausts I wholeheartedly agree! The last Casa exhaust I purchased leaked in several spots including through the central seam and the tailpipe welds. It was so dire that I hand delivered it back to Vittorio for a refund.

Tutto Lambretta stock exhausts IMHO are the next best thing to a NOS exhaust, and many people would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Given the issues with Casa exhausts and that the retail price between the two is ~€10, it’s an easy decision.
vegansydney

Postby Danbretta » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:16 pm

Thanks, I have been in contact direct and they are sending one out to me, €121 euros aint too bad... the €40 courier charge on top I'll try and ignore :cry:
At lerast it saves me a weekend of cutting, welding, grinding and painting.. Although I will no doubt eventually get around to repairing the original exhaust.
Danbretta

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:40 pm

I run both standard and Clubman exhausts. I think Clubman's are fine on kits. But to be honest I run a standard exhaust on a standard Jet and on a 175 conversion and really I wouldn't say they go any less well at all. I love them.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:55 pm

Danbretta wrote:Thanks, I have been in contact direct and they are sending one out to me, €121 euros aint too bad... the €40 courier charge on top I'll try and ignore :cry:
At lerast it saves me a weekend of cutting, welding, grinding and painting.. Although I will no doubt eventually get around to repairing the original exhaust.

If you think on when you receive it, I’d love to see one or two close up photos please. I took the easy option for my current engine build and bought a Scootopia one as they are easy to get in the UK. It’s okay but far from the standard of the originals.
Storkfoot

Postby Danbretta » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:50 pm

It's on it's way should have it by friday this week. I'll post some pics up for you. I'm looking forward to getting the scooter back on the road.
Danbretta

Postby vegansydney » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:03 pm

Storkfoot wrote:I’d love to see one or two close up photos please. I took the easy option for my current engine build and bought a Scootopia one as they are easy to get in the UK. It’s okay but far from the standard of the originals.

There are detailed photos of the TL Series 3 exhausts here and TL Series 1 & 2 exhausts here.

Also happy to take photos of the TL GP/dl exhausts, either fitted or not. I've got a few :oops: My preference is to dry fit them and then send them out to be ceramic coated in Cerakote Glacier Silver.
vegansydney

Postby Danbretta » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:52 am

The exhaust arrived yesterday, here are the pictures you asked for. I must say i'm impressed with the quality. I've not seen a casa one so I can't compare the quality but take a look and see what you think against your scootopia one.

There was an air filter thrown in as well, I think maybe this was added as I paid €40 postage and the courier bill shows €20 (maybe this was a gift for the over charge).

Only niggle is the tail pipe clamp was on when the exhaust was painted so when moved into position it leaves a ring of bare metal on show, for someone that may use the exhaust as is it may be annoying but I intend to give it a once over it with this stuff:

https://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht- ... of-coating

20200703_080316_copy_1008x567.jpg

20200703_080422_copy_1008x567.jpg

20200703_080525_copy_1008x567.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danbretta

Postby shane BBoys » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:24 am

That is a quality paint I’ve used it and it does stay on.
Cheers Shane
shane BBoys

Postby Danbretta » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:07 pm

Yes its a decent paint and gives a good finish, I've used it before on a rear box and was impressed with the results, the Mrs wasn't though when she came home to find me curing the coating in the oven.... women eh...?
Danbretta

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:08 pm

I am probably being a bit harsh on the Scootopia one. It was the ubend I was most disappointed in but that is away being chromed. As I still await the top end, I haven’t fitted the exhaust yet.

Thanks for putting up all the pics above.

Storkfoot

Postby Danbretta » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:35 pm

Yours looks ok,the only real difference I can see is your inlet and main bracket have been welded differently. I see yours is the later version without the mushroom baffle and the addition of the extra support bracket.

The original one that I took off my 1964 LiS doesnt have the mushroom baffle or extra support. I dont' know if it was original to the bike or changed during its life in Italy.

I dont know if there is much of a difference having this mushroom baffle or not, maybe there was if it was dropped on the later exhausts. Does any one know?

How's the paintwork on the scootopia one, does it scuff or come off easy? Im undecided whether to strip mine back to bare metal to repaint in the ceramic paint or try going over the paint alread yon there, the durability will only be as good as the base layer. It's that old scenario of giving myself more work than I need to or finding out later I should have done a proper job when i had the option..
Danbretta

Next

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3