LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Gear selection difficulties

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Gear selection difficulties

Postby mickey c » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:35 pm

I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions please.
I have rebuilt everything on a restoration I am now hoping to get MOT’d. Problem is that it goes in to 1st, 2nd & neutral smoothly but no way is it wanting to go into 3rd or 4th!
I’m sure the selector clicked thru the gears fine when I built the engine. I’ve adjusted & re adjusted the cables & did get 3rd but the cable became so slack the outer fell out of the yoke!
What am I doing wrong pls?
mickey c

Re: Gear selection difficulties

Postby MickYork » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:21 pm

3rd gear wrong way round ?
MickYork

Postby missing lynx » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:07 pm

Try disconnecting the tie rod and try to select the gears if that works it's somewhere from the tie rod forward, if not it's in the gear box. Just make sure the gear swivel mounting bracket is the right way round also if you've bought a new tie bar check the length and that its not to wide
missing lynx

Postby mickey c » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:52 pm

Thx for the replies. I pretty selector is correct way, the pivot is closer to rear wheel than trunion holes when in neutral.

The gear selector arm being to wide intrigues me. I’ll check the and detach it. Any other ideas beforeI strip the gearbox down?
mickey c

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:29 pm

Have you checked the cables at the headset end? If not, make sure the cable outers are set correctly.
Storkfoot

Postby missing lynx » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:24 pm

mickey c wrote:Thx for the replies. I pretty selector is correct way, the pivot is closer to rear wheel than trunion holes when in neutral.

The gear selector arm being to wide intrigues me. I’ll check the and detach it. Any other ideas beforeI strip the gearbox down?

It's the tie bar to check if its a new replacement have a look in sticky's book to double check everything but as I said disconnect the tie bar from the gear arm and if it selects all gears then it's not the gearbox
missing lynx

Postby Tractorman » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:54 am

If it's a new build are the cables routed correctly and not being trapped between the legshields and frame.
Tractorman

Postby gaz_powell » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:57 am

Heard a few people had issues with remade selector and posts, again as said disconnect cables and test.
Good luck
gaz_powell

Postby dscscotty » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:18 pm

is it a new gear swivell and tie bar? there's been some issues with MB and JPP ones, in that the bar hits the swivvell, and stopping the movement
dscscotty

Postby neily03 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:44 pm

dscscotty wrote:is it a new gear swivell and tie bar? there's been some issues with MB and JPP ones, in that the bar hits the swivvell, and stopping the movement

I had that problem with a JPP one, complete garbage. Had to file the swivel so it clears the bar so I could select 1st gear....
neily03

Postby mickey c » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:45 pm

Thx guys, I’ll get the tie bar off & have a play. I’m pretty sure it’s the original bar but even messing with that ridiculously small circling (& my sausage fingers) is preferable to stripping the engine (again)!
mickey c

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:01 pm

neily03 wrote:
dscscotty wrote:is it a new gear swivell and tie bar? there's been some issues with MB and JPP ones, in that the bar hits the swivvell, and stopping the movement

I had that problem with a JPP one, complete garbage. Had to file the swivel so it clears the bar so I could select 1st gear....

With all of the spares that somebody such as me (is likely to have gained since 1973) some of the things now being remade are considered to be the new 'bling' whereas crash bars & chrome were the norm.

When it comes to replacing gear change linkages that were steel fitted with the brass cable clamps as OEM, I really have to wonder whether alloy is really going to last in a machine that does it's best to vibrate like a road drill! Perhaps the likes of Rayspeed etc have been getting it all wrong with the alloy barrels such as TS etc & they simply should not have the Nikasil bores that they have..... :? :lol:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby mickey c » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:28 pm

bearing in mind this project has taken me about two years, four weeks to update on this is good for me!
it turned out that I had positioned the gear selector arm about 45 degrees out. :oops: I re-did this with the gear selector at 90 degrees to the chain case when in 2nd gear. took it up the road and I now get all four gears, nice and smooth too. I'm made up I have not had to get the engine apart and am hoping for a MOT this week.
thanks again everyone for your help!.
mickey c

Postby ULC Soulagent » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:48 pm

mickey c wrote:bearing in mind this project has taken me about two years, four weeks to update on this is good for me!
it turned out that I had positioned the gear selector arm about 45 degrees out. :oops: I re-did this with the gear selector at 90 degrees to the chain case when in 2nd gear. took it up the road and I now get all four gears, nice and smooth too. I'm made up I have not had to get the engine apart and am hoping for a MOT this week.
thanks again everyone for your help!.

Easily done ;) ;) glad it’s sorted
ULC Soulagent

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:03 pm

Yep. I've had this.
They can be made to work with a delicate touch from an angle grinder on the tie bar to get the necessary clearances.
Fast n Furious

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3