LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Dad's 1960's Series 2 Li150

LAMBRETTA ONLY PLEASE
Show your Lambretta off to us all with pictures of your pride and joy.

Dad's 1960's Series 2 Li150

Postby little_geoff » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:55 pm

HI Guys,
I'm new to the group, and to the world of Lambretta's. I've decided to take on my dad's college ride. It's been in the shed or garage for my entire childhood, and can still recall driving around the garden, and painting it! (That's me in the shorts! - i'm now 42)
20200908_163354000_iOS.jpg

Thankfully my dad has cranked it over every few months, and has kept literally all his documents, inc manual, registrations docs and insurance from the 1970's. He also bought a donor bike, again which he has documents for, unfortunately when we checked, the Chassis and Engine Numbers didn't match the registration docs for either of the bikes he has registered. (So we think someone just switch plates) From looking online, the Chassis is 1961, Engine 1960. (and presumably Italian)

He did however have a bucket of spares, and the bike itself looks in pretty good condition given it's age and was only missing the front mudguard, (which i've now sourced one second hand)
20200721_193145135_iOS.jpg

I'm slowing working on stripping it down, cleaning up the parts, which i am enjoying, but a little unsure are to what i'll need to get it going again, (and which parts it originally had) so sure i will be asking for lots of advice!
Geoff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by little_geoff on Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
little_geoff

Re: Dad's 1960's Series 2 Li150

Postby Solid Air » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:08 pm

Nice one Geoff and good luck with the build, you'll find plenty of help on here.

Can I start? Someone before must have wanted to see where they'd been rather than where they were going as the seat cover is on arse about face :lol:

Enjoy

Mark
Solid Air

Postby little_geoff » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:21 pm

Solid Air wrote:Nice one Geoff and good luck with the build, you'll find plenty of help on here.

Can I start? Someone before must have wanted to see where they'd been rather than where they were going as the seat cover is on arse about face :lol:

Enjoy

Mark

Hi Mark,
Sadly i can't get a spark at, but possibly the wiring was shot, so ordered a new loom, and not even sure if it had a battery (it has a tray) Ive taken the engine off at present, as i want to get the rear mudgaurd off to clean the frame up.
As for the seat, um yeah...i just wanted to show it had most of the panels. - i've have ordered a seat catch, and picked up a seat cover of ebay. I also ordered a new voltage regulator, but I'll try and tackle the electrics as I have the next few days off work.
little_geoff

Postby Solid Air » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:28 pm

Sounds like you've made a good start (seat comment only in jest :) ). Do you know about Sticky's manual? Very, very handy if you haven't already got it. And where abouts are you? You might find someone close by willing to help.
Solid Air

Postby Chadley » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:41 pm

Based on my experience, I'd recommend initially trying to get it running with as many of the original parts as possible. I learned the hard way that assuming new Lambretta parts must be okay is often a bad mistake. For example, if you suspect a fault with the wiring loom, try to find out what the specific fault is rather than replacing it with a new one that may be wired subtly different and could introduce a number of secondary issues.
Chadley

Postby little_geoff » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:45 pm

Solid Air wrote:Sounds like you've made a good start (seat comment only in jest :) ). Do you know about Sticky's manual? Very, very handy if you haven't already got it. And where abouts are you? You might find someone close by willing to help.

I'm not aware of that manaul, i've been using the one dad had...it's a bit vague... I'm in Gloucester, so if there is anyone local, would welcome a chat and advice on best way forward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
little_geoff

Postby Solid Air » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:53 pm

That manual has helped many people over the years Geoff, here's a link to Sticky's manual...

https://scooterlab.uk/product/complete- ... -for-2018/
Solid Air

Postby little_geoff » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:58 pm

Solid Air wrote:That manual has helped many people over the years Geoff, here's a link to Sticky's manual...

That's great, thanks!
little_geoff

Postby Toddy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:05 pm

Welcome to the forum what a great bit of history keep us updated with it , ask plenty of questions if you need to there are some knowledgable people on here :D
Toddy

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:15 pm

little_geoff wrote:
Solid Air wrote:That manual has helped many people over the years Geoff, here's a link to Sticky's manual...

That's great, thanks!

I’d recommend getting this and reading it a couple of times, making lists as you do. Sometimes, it is easy to throw yourself into something without having a plan as to how you want it to finish. I speak personally here :D
Storkfoot

Postby little_geoff » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:02 pm

Chadley wrote:Based on my experience, I'd recommend initially trying to get it running with as many of the original parts as possible. I learned the hard way that assuming new Lambretta parts must be okay is often a bad mistake. For example, if you suspect a fault with the wiring loom, try to find out what the specific fault is rather than replacing it with a new one that may be wired subtly different and could introduce a number of secondary issues.

Thanks, I've still got the old loom, but some of the connectors are missing, and the whole thing looks quite oxidised. I also ordered a whole new set of earth wires, as they looked a bit ropey...given it's simplicity i'll get it functioning before i actually wire it back up through. I also noticed that the regulator was missing it's fuse afterwards...and i need to replace the spark plug...trying to be as methodical as i can to be honest, and not going crazy with the purchases just yet!
20200723_181845514_iOS.jpg
little_geoff

Postby Nudger » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:06 am

Wow - great story and welcome, you're doing it right i.e. bit by bit. Sticky's manual will certainly help you a lot & please keep us updated
Nudger

Postby bookertmgs1 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:40 am

Great story

In line with earlier posts.

Buy Stickys manual - read it. Then again.

Have a plan about what you want to do and what you need to accomplish it

I wouldnt recomend randomly buying parts from ebay until you know specifically what you want. There are lots of dubious quality, mis-described parts on there.

Buy from a recognised dealer - theres lots around that offer really good postal services - next day in some cases. If you are in Glouster - you arernt far away from Scootopia who are a decent dealer with a good spread of parts.

Ask lots of questions on here - be cauicious of "experts" on Facebook - there are some really knowledgeable folk who are happy to help - but also lots of people who think they know - who will encourage you to spend your way out of a simple problem
bookertmgs1

Postby little_geoff » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:46 am

Thanks for all the advice, all the stuff i've bought from ebay has tended to been through Glasgow Lambretta's, Scootopia and Rimini Lambretta Centre, as it's cheaper or free shipping via Ebay (and Nectar points) i have managed to find a few useful used parts. I think i'll hold off on Sticky's manual myself, as my birthday is coming up next month...
little_geoff

Postby Knowledge » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:05 pm

Geoff, make sure you get Sticky’s manual with the green cover. It is the latest edition so it has the best info. Don’t be tempted by the red copy (series 3 only) or orange edition from secondhand eBay auctions.

Keep posting:we love these build-up Resto stories.
Knowledge

Postby little_geoff » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:16 pm

Here's my work done for today...finally got the read mudgaurd off, and a quick rub down with a wire drill attachment and the steel is surprisingly good! What are people's experiences/opinions on DIY rust removal and repaint vs prof sandblasting? (and how easy is it to remove the headstock/forks?)
20200909_171530710_iOS.jpg

20200909_170925034_iOS.jpg
little_geoff

Postby Cgt75b » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:57 am

Looks like a great project, good luck with everything :D
Cgt75b

Postby Mel K » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:19 am

From experience, if that was mine today , I would not strip any more of the paint off , I’d clean everything and put it all back together as it is, But with new parts where needed , wipe it over with ACF50 And ride it . If you paint it , it will be unrecognisable as the one you’ve grown so fond of and have great memories about . Obviously that’s just my opinion and good luck with it all .
Mel K

Postby little_geoff » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:29 pm

Mel K wrote:From experience, if that was mine today , I would not strip any more of the paint off , I’d clean everything and put it all back together as it is, But with new parts where needed , wipe it over with ACF50 And ride it . If you paint it , it will be unrecognisable as the one you’ve grown so fond of and have great memories about . Obviously that’s just my opinion and good luck with it all .

Thanks Mel,
I'd not hear of ACF50, but it looks good. I'd love to keep the patina on it, but i'm unsure how best to treat the surface rust on the engine covers...I painted the legsheild and footplates with white hammerite as a kid so has done well. do you have any suggestions?
little_geoff

Postby Mel K » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:43 pm

Hammerite or Smoothrite is designed to be painted straight onto rusted metal and as you’ve already proved , protects and fairs well , just do the same as you did as a kid , it’s all your choice , but acf50 is also a greAt preservative , personally I’d get it all together and running as it is , you can always do more if you think it’s needed later .
Mel K

Next

Return to Show Your Ride